Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Dac build
Dac build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2019, 03:32 AM   #1
flyingmattyboy is offline flyingmattyboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Dac build

Hello. I would like to replace my Arcam Blink with something more serious. I was thinking along the lines of diy Dac, as a vinyl fan I have no knowledge of Dacs and dont understand what components are required to acheive my goal. This is what I would like though. The ability to connect directly to my phone via Bluetooth and stream music players, ability to connect to cd player via optical and possibly coax.

I like the look of the dddac but its out of my budget. I then stumbled accross the Soekris Dam 1021. More within my budget.

What else would I need apart from a 1021 board. I fancy the idea of regulated power supply. I have looked at a build guide but I dont understand how dacs work or any of the jargon. The Blink has no digital output so I can't use it as a BT receiver and mydac would require its own receiver. Iam in the UK (240v).

Matt
Old 20th September 2019, 08:53 PM   #2
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

I would tune the Arcam. Better than a new other one. And to increase the psu is THE chance;-)

...And remove all radioing stuff in there: very unhealthy;-)-;
Old 20th September 2019, 09:04 PM   #3
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

You. Can buy a Bluetooth to Opti out thingie for about 35 bucks on eBay to let you stream from our phone to Dac. I picked up one for my garage system and it's not bad.

Last edited by PJN; 20th September 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 12:05 AM   #4
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Here’s what I would do;

Keep the arcam for a backup, and even a reference if you get lost in any modifications to other devices.

Then dig around on forums and eBay to try and find something that suits your needs, and maybe even buy two if they are reasonably priced. Then start carefully making changes, one at a time and listen lots and lots between changes. Keep reading up as curiosity spawns new possibilities, again, read lots before making any changes. Would also need a multi meter, some good clip on leads, a decent soldering setup too.

That will give you a bit of a background and maybe even a better reference for whatever comes next when you’re done.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:59 PM   #5
flyingmattyboy is offline flyingmattyboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ok so if I want to build one I need a psu, and input device,

I have seen the silent switcher in the shop that I could use with a DC power source. (Battery or power brick)

What imput device would I need to cover bluetooth, optical, coax, & USB? Is there a good one for all solution? Would I need anything else.

Matt
Old 26th September 2019, 04:57 PM   #6
democles is offline democles  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Look fore
Topping D50s DAC

Dac buildHide this!Advertise here!