Audiophonic I-TDA1387 TCXO DAC Raspberry Pi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Ernest - I don't know if this'll be any help to you, but I have a slightly fuzzy picture of which pads to bridge once you've removed the VHC latch/reclocker.

Attachments

• 2092758207.jpg
    2092758207.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 358
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@abraxalito, had removed it just an hour ago, and had figured out it before. Thanks anyway :) very kind. Didn't use this technique but shorted the locations for 0ohm resistors above the VHC. They are just there for this purpose. Have burned down most of the plastic plug close to it with hot air, but, it worked :) Strong glasses needed.

Sound? Less sweet I think and more precise. Have Crysteqs clocks in my FifoPi.

Such a hot air gun is a terrific tool.

Cheers, Ernst

Gents, I think you would find this read interesting NOS DAC

It explain the reasoning after the 50MHz resampling.

ernest, even if you currently have a low noise power supply I believe you will see big benefits in a shunt regulator, keep in mind that low noise is not enough you also want very low output impedance in your DAC supply.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's very interesting about the pre-placed 0R links - you mean the designer foresaw people wanting to bypass his asynchronous reclocking? To me that says he didn't have a whole lot of confidence it was an improvement....
Abraxalito, see the picture: there you can see the three bridged solder points. And the burned plugsurrounding.

The DAC doesn't sound bad at all just on the pi. For this purpose the DAC as it is might be a good choice with its reclocker. With a separate reclocker as the KALI or even better the FIFOPI the bridge is a nice thing. If therfor the VHC could have stayed, I do not know. For sure it is a cleaner solution having it removed. Have not removed the clock so far. Cheers, Ernst 20190921_134653.jpg

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Gents, I think you would find this read interesting NOS DAC

It explain the reasoning after the 50MHz resampling.

ernest, even if you currently have a low noise power supply I believe you will see big benefits in a shunt regulator, keep in mind that low noise is not enough you also want very low output impedance in your DAC supply.
Sandia, I have somewhere flying around a Salas 5V shunt and I give it a try. Will read the article, having had a copy around for some time.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,

Any progress with power supplies,experiments ?
cheers
Hi diyiggy, just listened this week to the DAC using a regulator from our Slovenian friend, and considered the sound better. Haven't done more except that I found my Salas shunts. Will test them next week after my sister plus brother in law has left. Even I am not really happy using shunts I expect some improvement.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
This DAC powered by a Salas Shunt

Well, had an hour of time yesterday and plugged in one of my Salas shunts. And, yes, I liked what I heard - thinking that I heard a more definded bass and an even more spatious presentation than before. My Bastanis, powered by a Raphael Pre and Fab's USSA5 amp are usually able to present a very spacious stage and now, with this DAC, powered by a shunt can pull one into the presentation. Wow. Big, where it should be big and small where it should be small. Maybe a litte upsized all the time but a broad and deep stage presentation. Really spectacular.

After I have finished the three LT3042 regs from IAN in order to stuff the ES9083 with them and I wonder how this will sound compared to the 1387 DAC.

I'll be back :)

Ernst

Thanks for sharing your experience Ernest, quite similar to my own impresions, but TBH I do not trust my ears so much so is good to have a confirmation.

By the way, wich version of the Salas shunt you have tested?. I have a v1.1 and I have plans to make a v1.3. Apparently the performance is much improved. If this will be heard in this particular application is another thing.

Somehow I missed this thread.

To be honest. I had my Audiophonics 1387 laying around for several months. :D
The ""killer"" argument is simply the 16bit limit.

And my latest purchase, a Khadas Toneboard, is IMO doing extremely well for the money. I paid 89€. I'm still in the phase of "What more do I want?" ;)

However.
A friend of mine asked if I could help to setup and tune his piCorePlayer setup.
We're looking at a RPi4 -> IanFifo -> AP-1387 setup.

Yep. Even with the FifoPi. The OS setup can make a difference.

BTW. Did anybody try higher samplerates with this DAC?

This friend of mine already applied some HW tweaks. I e.g. recommended to introduce Rhopoints as I/V-Rs. These I used during my 1543 days. He pretty much confirmed my experience with these Rs. They simply provide a much better resolution than many other Rs out there. Perhaps you guys can recommend a more affordable type !?!?

As PS I'm running Allo Shanti. The Supercaps on the output make an excellent power source. You just need to short the Shanti stock cables.

@Ernest
Regarding the clock mod in conjunction with the FifoPi.
Please confirm! You just bridged these 3*2 soldering pads right above the clock. Right?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Klaus, the three bridges on top of the DAC do shorten the i2s input and output of the logic chip. Forgot the type.
I removed the chip and soldered a kind of 0 ohm resistors in order to shorten these bridges.
This setup works with Ians FIFOPI.
And I disenergized the clock by cutting one wire of the supplying L.

With 420 Ohm Rhopoint the sound is pretty nice. Pi is 3, PSU for it is LDOVR mezzanine and DAC is powered by LDO.

Haven't had time for more mods, but I am sure it will come.

As you say what more to want?

BR

Ernst

Hi folks.

I have a problem.

My current test setup is:

* RPi4
* FifoPi
* Audiophonics i-TDA1387
* RPi and Fifo dirty side powered by iPower
* DAC and Fifo clean side powered by LiFePO4 supply.

Issue:

Since I introduced the RPi4 I experience HF modulations, chirps and clicks etc. with this DAC.

It already starts at boot-time! If idle once in a while chirp noises pop up.

I did read somewhere that the DAC is pretty sensitive in terms of HF pickup.

However. I havn't seen this behavior running the 3B+ as host.

On both RPi versions 3&4 I'm using the onboard WLAN btw and BT is turned off.

What has changed on the RPi4 is of course the entire USB and network stack
and the related ports have been relocated!??!?

Anybody out there experiencing the same issue?
Any idea how to trace the issue down?

I tried two different OS setups - piCporePlayer60 and Raspbian. No change.
I'm running the latest RPi firmware (eeprom&USB) - just to mention it.

I also left a message with Audiophonics to see what they have to say.

THX.

Last edited:
News:

It seems the RPi 4 just makes thing worse with this DAC.

Basically the DAC picks up HF heavily with all RPi.

I never realized that because I never used it on a RPi4 before and
on the RPi 3 I just did a bit of RPi integration work.

It seems that the large inductors pick up HF. And the clock plus fifo also somehow
contribute to the mess.

From that perspective that DAC gets a big and fat "NOT RECOMMENDED" verdict
from my side.

However. If you tweak (filters/clocks/etc) that DAC you'll be able to get that magic back.
That at least I was told by a trustworthy friend of mine.

Anyhow. Back to my Toneboard. ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
A thought just crossed my mind.

One thing that really opens my eyes is that even with the FifoPi in place
and running a battery supply on the clean side to avoid groundloops.

Every task I run on the RPi , loading a track, playing with the pCP webrowser,
asf, gives a certain sound&noise signature with this DAC. It's really interesting.

This DAC is a perfect noise sniffer. ;)

It also shows how limited such a isolator/recklocker board is, if you leave the air interface open.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.