Audiophonic I-TDA1387 TCXO DAC Raspberry Pi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reopening this as I bought the Teradak TDA1387 DAC HAT and love the sound signature. At the moment I have the DAC powered form the Pi vi the GPIO connector. Even when using a relatively clean power supply (Allo Nirvana), there is still a light noise. I was thinking to get an Allo Reclocker to both open more the sound and try to clean the noise. I wonder if the Audiophonics version is better in this sense. If anyone has one and wants to sell, feel free to PM me.

I believe both Teradak and Audiophonics have simple asynchronous reclocking on board anyway, so reclocking the input will have little benefit as it stands. I bypassed that part of the circuit (details somewhere on DiyAudio!) on my Audiophonics board and fed it with my Iancanada Fifo Pi reclocker. It was not a night and day transformation to be honest. I think the bigger limitations of the design lie elsewhere. Can't say I noticed it was noisy either way though.

I tried to run Moodeaudio instead of Volumio that I had on hand when getting the DAC. Noise reduced by quite a bit. One of the issues the Chifi pi DAC HATs have is that that they do not have a specific driver available (you have to use either generic or hifiberry).

Moode has a driver for the Audiophonics tda1387 (another reason I want to get one), but still had to select Hifiberry to get this to work. Still cleaner sound then Volumio and with the Allo Nirvana the noise almost disappeared. I will look at the mods but I am not very experienced with this stuff so don't want to break the thing.

If you are using a raspberry pi4, sometimes underclocking helps a bit. The very high cpu frequency creates a lot of interferences.
Also try to put the pi alone into a metal housing. The raspberry seems to pick up noise rather easily.

I cannot put the pi alone into a housing as I am attaching the hat to GPIO. Would a RPI3 be more suitable? I can always get one.

I also have a Teradak 1387 DAC HAT in use for my head-fi for quite some time, and I love its sound signature very much too.

I had once tried to connect it (RPi3 + 1387 DAC) to my main hi-fi system, but I found the sound stage was somewhat less open than my existing setup (Allo DigiOne Signature + Mytek 192).

Since Allo Isolator is now out of stock, I plan to have RPi3 + Ian's Isolator Pi II + Allo Kali + Teradak 1387 DAC HAT, and test this combo in my hi-fi system again. Isolator Pi II is still on its way from Canada, and I will take out the XO & VHC574 latch from the 1387 DAC HAT during the Chinese New Year holiday. Hope the Isolator + Kali can give the 1387 DAC HAT a performance boost.

Please Correct me if I am wrong but the 50Mhx TXCO and the VHC574 are for the data distribution to the 8 parallel TDA Dacs. The VHC574 is nothing more than an Octal data latch so I can't see the advantage of removing it. The 44.1/48Khz master clock is provided by the Pi. I use The Allo Kali reclocker which made a huge improvement. The biggest problem I had was digital noise. Now use seperate supplies for the PI/ Kali and the AF 1387 DAC, Also I found a USB EMC Filter from Wurth which reduced the noise, a lot lot cheaper than the Audioquest device

I cannot put the pi alone into a housing as I am attaching the hat to GPIO. Would a RPI3 be more suitable? I can always get one.

For me it was, yes. But if you already have the Pi4, try it first of course. If there is no noise for you, then you can use it. Also underclocking is very easy. Just take the SD-Card and edit the config file on a PC or MAC. 200Mhz made a difference for me.

For me it was, yes. But if you already have the Pi4, try it first of course. If there is no noise for you, then you can use it. Also underclocking is very easy. Just take the SD-Card and edit the config file on a PC or MAC. 200Mhz made a difference for me.

With an Allo Nirvana power supply and an Allo Kali (I managed to get what was probably the last 22/24 version Audiophonics had in stock) everything works great. No noise and very nice sound. For the cost of this little setup this is one hell of a streamer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.