Transport identification help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does this look familiar to anyone?
There is only a date stamp on the metal plate but no part numbers.
Laser assembly is a Sony KSS-240a

Attachments

• transport.jpg
    transport.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 96
Definitely used in Sony players. It could be a CDM14-5BD1 mechanism and if so is the same as this:

Sony CDP790 and KSS240 Restoration Project

It does look like the one in that thread. Even the plastic drawer and stand with 3 mounting screws looks the same. It looks to me that MF have just taken this mech and drawer assembly, bolted a bit of aluminium to the front of the drawer and used it as is.

Being a CDM does it mean this is a Phillips transport with a Sony laser? I thought Phillips and Sony were big competitors.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
It does look like the one in that thread. Even the plastic drawer and stand with 3 mounting screws looks the same. It looks to me that MF have just taken this mech and drawer assembly, bolted a bit of aluminium to the front of the drawer and used it as is.

Being a CDM does it mean this is a Phillips transport with a Sony laser? I thought Phillips and Sony were big competitors.

What happens on those cheap transports is the small plastic drive gear on the motor cracks.
They are pressed-fitted on the motor shaft, and eventually the stress cracks them, resulting in the transport getting stuck at one point.

Might there be another name/number for the CDM14-5BD1 ?
I have seen a few transports on ebay that look similar. I wonder how many parts like maybe spindle motors would be interchangeable if the whole transport is already obsolete?
Reason for this is I like the X-Ray and dont want to be in the same situation as I am with my VRDS-10, as in I don't have much chance of getting hold of parts that only a few years ago were easy to find.

Great info guys thank you. This will give me something to look out for. Even used machines that are still working that I can use as donors should help me keep the X-Ray going.
With that in mind, I would be very grateful for any information on any other players that are known to use this transport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.