Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Replacement CD drive
Replacement CD drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2019, 03:41 PM   #1
simoon is offline simoon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement CD drive

I own a very good CD player, an Opera Consonance CD2.2, that I am only using as a transport. It is connected to an external DAC.

Click the image to open in full size.

Lately, the CD mechanism has been acting up. It does not remain ejected, it retracts immediately. I can still use it, it just takes a bit of timing to load it.

Obviously, I want to replace the mechanism, but I am not sure who the manufacturer of the mechanism is.

Does anyone recognize this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opera.jpg (105.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 5th August 2019, 04:43 PM   #2
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Use some spray cleaner such as CRC electronics cleaner - spray carefully into the open/close sensor switch(s) and work the actuator in and out a bunch of times to clean the internal contacts.
Depending on the manufacturer, you'll have to look to see which switch(s) is hit when the tray is loaded/ejected.
Oxidation of the switch contacts is not unusual.

And while you're in there, a careful light dusting off of the pickup lens is worthwhile.
a cue-tip lightly sprayed with windex helps.
then use the dry end to complete the job.

Replacement CD driveHide this!Advertise here!