Original Rega Planet CD Player Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Well Here I am with what seems to be a common problem
with this cd player, SKIPPING!. I did go though this machine
changing transport parts with a Sony machine and change a few capacitors
but it works and sounds for awhile but after that skips in a few day's. Does
anyone else have any other ideas about fixing this?. Maybe I missed
something. :confused:

Describe the skipping in more detail, e.g. short distance or long distance - that may help the experts (not me!) better analyse your problem.

There's a few reasons for skipping other than damage to the sled drive mechanism.

Do you have the facility to test things like tracking servo alignment and laser strength?

I presume you've checked for something as simple as a dirty or damaged lens?

I would class that as long distance skipping.

A mechanical fault is the most likely cause, although you say you have changed transport parts.

Check for gummed up lubrication, dirt or foreign objects on the tracks or stuck in the gear teeth, damaged gear teeth, drive belt slipping, parts out of alignment.

That's about all you can do without test equipment, unless someone else has any ideas.

There is a known problem with one of the positive rails - root cause is one of the rectifier diode junctions breaking down. There is more info on PFM if you do a search.

I bought a faulty one - wasn’t the diode but a faulty servo board.

Good luck, well worth fixing - lovely player that while not the best resolving, simply does nothing wrong.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.