Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2019, 12:51 PM   #1
Faboz is offline Faboz  France
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Audiophile Ethernet Switch

Hello All,

I don't know if it is the right spot to post this thread. Also did some research on the forum and didn't find a topic about this subject.
To moderators, please move if not appropriate location.

My streaming data go from my NAS to my Streamer through ethernet connection. I have a Dlink DGS105 "ala Swenson" (meaning on LPS + the ground to the chassis). This tweak improved the background noise and the general resititution of my system (Dali Opticon 8 speakers/Audiomat amp/Soekris dam 1021/ Mano streamer/NAS with LMS).

I have recently tested on my system the AQVox SE ethernet switch in replacement of the Dlink. The effect is just spectacular! Awesome! This is not a small improvement, it is real and well perceived.
The sound stage is more defined, instruments well separated and the general restitution is less stressed. (more analog restitution). The same day, we tested it on THDG system (full TotalDac) and the effect was also well perceived.

Brands like AQVOX, Waversa, SOTM, the linear solution, Paul Pang propose different product to improve the ethernet data right before the streamer. The issue is that those are as expensive (or even more) as streamers....

Here is a picture of the AQVOX inside

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm looking for information in order to tweak a regular switch (like did Paul Pang, AQVOX) but in DIY manner. The only subject I found is this one: Guney's Place

Seems like their is a general consensus to upgrade the capacitors of the switch, but what about the clock, the internal power supply, regulators,...

Did anybody work on this topic? Anyone knowing where to find a tutorial to upgrade ethernet switches?

Thanks for your feedback
Old 19th July 2019, 01:41 PM   #2
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pic. The inside looks very standard and certainly not bristling with audiophile parts. My guess is they probably listened through a pile of cheap switches and selected what sounded best. There is of course a chance the firmware has been tweaked.

A LPS and decent ethernet wire made a huge difference in my case. It is probably desirable to also have only essential audio stuff plugged in.

But seeing how cheap switches are, there is just no excuse not to try tweaking one: clock, caps, chokes, shielding.

Nice thread. Keeping fingers crossed the trolls won't find it
Old 19th July 2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Forman313 is offline Forman313  Norway
diyAudio Member

Improve Ethernet data?

The data is transmitted to the streamer by the TCP protocol... not morse code. If a package (chunk of data) is corrupt, missing or received in the wrong order, it is resent or just arranged in the right order.

Every single packet is recieved by the buffer in the streaming device BIT PERFECT!
How can you possible improve a perfect copy?

Just because streaming something over the internet can be lossy with distortion and blocky picture, does not mean its the same when streaming at home.
These transmission protocols are using UDP not TCP.
And even if that switch is used for a multocast UDP stream with packet loss, how is it supposed to improve data that no longer exists?

Use $50.000 on cables and at least half that on other tweaks. Just dont waste money on things like that. You are making us all look incredible stupid.

If you are a HiFi enthusiast running media servers, streamers etc. this is one important part of if you want to learn. Learn how to DIY the right way.

What’s The Difference Between The OSI Seven-Layer Network Model And TCP/IP? | Electronic Design

Here is a more in depth article. Lots of other related stuff here worth a read:

What is OSI model (Open Systems Interconnection)? - Definition
Old 19th July 2019, 03:27 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Ethernet provides no guarantee that a packet will be delivered at all, let alone when it will be delivered. People using Ethernet need to bear this in mind and employ big buffers at each end, thus taking data alone (and no timing at all) from Ethernet. However, if Ethernet delivers a packet you can be sure the data is uncorrupted as it uses a powerful error checksum. Hence a change in packet switch can only affect audio systems which are misusing Ethernet.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:02 PM   #5
grimberg is offline grimberg  United States
diyAudio Member

Adding to what DF96 said, if you are concerned about data integrity over Ethernet, your best next investment should be an Ethernet Network Analyzer and Packet Data Sniffer. Packet collisions and dropping are the most likely culprits for any audible effect.
Old 19th July 2019, 04:18 PM   #6
jherbert is offline jherbert  Germany
diyAudio Member

I guess you need some glue to cover certain parts, so nobody can identify them. Plus a sticker with your company logo on.
Old 19th July 2019, 05:23 PM   #7
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Well for starters I'd replace that oscillator with a new class d, neutron star 2, at the very least. Give it a huge multi rail psu and split all the voltage rails while your at it.

Then realise what a pointless waste it has been...
Old 19th July 2019, 05:38 PM   #8
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Nice thread. Keeping fingers crossed the trolls won't find it

Old 19th July 2019, 06:29 PM   #9
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Data is data....
Old 19th July 2019, 06:36 PM   #10
Faboz is offline Faboz  France
diyAudio Member

Ok, sorry for the translation of "improved data" please consider " unpolluted data through the ethernet"
Yes the data are all delivered as expected, no doubt. Then it can be delivered clean or polluted by electronics or switch mode power supply.
If you don't believe in it this is fine we have your opinion now. Just listen to this kind of switch and then you'll see who looks stupid.

The goal of the thread is to see how to tweak Ethernet switch, not to discuss if you believe it works or not. People who listened to the switch can argue, believer should listen to it before talking about it.

Audiophile Ethernet SwitchHide this!Advertise here!