Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2020, 07:03 PM   #451
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Cogitech, dang your idea of a Faraday cage might not be too unobtanium!
But to be honest, the biggest problem on the power feed (at least where I am) is the horrible amount of phase shift. The electrical engineers (@ the varsity where I work) have done measurements in the past and have reported 30% and more depending on the time of day (or night,) and the season (lots more worse in winter.) I'm not certain how much that will affect our Hi-fi equipment

Last edited by ferret; 25th February 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 25th February 2020, 07:05 PM   #452
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
Not if that "noisy SPMS" plugged into the same circuit as the audio system is the actual "problem". Fiber wouldn't make a lick of difference.
Use batteries then, Bill likes batteries
Old 25th February 2020, 10:34 PM   #453
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret View Post
Indeed, but I have tried a TOSLINK cable and a coaxial cable from the same source into my preamp (AudioLab 8200CDQ) at the same time, played a quality CD (Jazz At The Pawnshop) for some friends (some AudioPhools and some not) and they all preferred the coaxial (of course I never told them which one I was using) and this was setup before anyone arrived. They actually were under the impression that I was using two different sources (I have 3 different CD/SACD front ends.)
which makes my point. because AT never took off for CD people think toslink proves fibre is bad.

Quote:
In any case the TOSLINK connector is totally shirty - there is no decent clipping mechanism (like an LC connector commonly used on network fibre patch cables.) The LC connector is at least spring loaded so that the two interfaces have an airless connection.
low Mb/s over 10m and 10Gb/s over km are somewhat different requirements. toslink is fit for purpose. just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Use batteries then, Bill likes batteries
I do. I wuss out on the power issues.
Old 28th February 2020, 04:10 PM   #454
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Put a decent schaefner filtered iec socket on it if the smps is internal

Audiophile Ethernet SwitchHide this!Advertise here!