Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Audiophile Ethernet Switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2019, 12:02 PM   #21
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom
Too late, there is already a bunch of posts explaining that you and the OP are delusional because 'digital is digital', oh well.
It would help if you read and comment on what we actually said, rather than giving a wholly inaccurate summary of what someone else might have said had they been in this thread.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:25 PM   #22
Indiglo is offline Indiglo  Australia
diyAudio Member

On top of everything else the ethernet physical interface is balanced and isolated, if you have simple networking needs then buy a cheap switch, if you have more sophisticated requirements like vlans and diagnostics then buy a switch that can be managed.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:32 PM   #23
Max Headroom is online now Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
I did read and comment on what was said.
Post #3 I believe -
Quote:
Every single packet is received by the buffer in the streaming device BIT PERFECT!
How can you possible improve a perfect copy?
Use $50.000 on cables and at least half that on other tweaks. Just don't waste money on things like that. You are making us all look incredible stupid.
and this -
Quote:
.....Hence a change in packet switch can only affect audio systems which are misusing Ethernet.
Stuff got posted before I finished composing my response which was about improving AC power longitudinal leakage and I suggest that as sound technical explanation for the noted 'impossible' subjective improvements even if I did not explicitly state that, I assumed that the reasons for the earth bonding and Double Insulated references would be understood by those skilled in the art, evidently not.
I offered advice/confirmation to the OP and you get all offended ???.
Also BTW please define just what is 'misusing Ethernet' ?.

Dan.

Last edited by Max Headroom; 20th July 2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:33 PM   #24
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
decent ethernet wire'....Office Works no good ?.
I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Some German made, preterminated CAT-6. Seemed cheaper than to buy a new crimping tool. Nothing even remotely audiophile, yet it made a big improvement over what was there previously.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:38 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. Some German made, preterminated CAT-6. Seemed cheaper than to buy a new crimping tool. Nothing even remotely audiophile, yet it made a big improvement over what was there previously.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, decent standard pre-made cable from anywhere should be perfectly fine.

Any ideas about what was wrong with the first cable ?.

Dan.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:41 PM   #26
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

No, but the improvement was so noticeable i can easily extrapolate it upward towards the stuff sold to audiophiles.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:07 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
No, but the improvement was so noticeable i can easily extrapolate it upward towards the stuff sold to audiophiles.
I'm waiting for next round of theoretical reasons why this cannot be so..... .

Dan.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:42 PM   #28
rfbrw is offline rfbrw
diyAudio Member

If the proponents the tweaked hub are to be believed then I can expect an improvement, if I were to run my flac files through it, relative to an untweaked hub. Can they tell me what improvement I can expect with my pdf files?
Old 20th July 2019, 10:43 PM   #29
voltwide is offline voltwide  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
improving AC power longitudinal leakage
Dan.
may point to the right direction. Generally these 2-prong AC-Adapters delivers much common mode noise perceived as "100Hz hum" (120Hz respectively). Connecting the secondary circuit of the switch with PE should help by redirecting these currents to mother earth. Or buy a better one with a 3-prong AC-Adapter. These effects may be quite real and do not relate to any mysterious "digital distortion".

Last edited by voltwide; 20th July 2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 21st July 2019, 06:46 AM   #30
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrw View Post
If the proponents the tweaked hub are to be believed then I can expect an improvement, if I were to run my flac files through it, relative to an untweaked hub. Can they tell me what improvement I can expect with my pdf files?
I've seen some PDFs changing the font from Verdana to Times Roman with a high-end Ethernet cable. Let me tell you, the improvement was not subtle!

Jan

Audiophile Ethernet SwitchHide this!Advertise here!