Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Denon DCD-595 no spindle movement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
nickmercury is offline nickmercury  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Denon DCD-595 no spindle movement

Hi.

I been given an old Denon DCD-595 CD player, in very good external condition. But when I load a disc there is no spindle movement, not even a jerk.

I can see the laser lens moving up and down when the tray closes.

I found a copy of the circuit, and traced the spindle drive to IC103a and the rails are good, and if I short out the op-amp inputs the motor starts to run.

I don't know much about CD player, is the unit looking for a laser signal before it spins up the disc?

Any suggests on what to check.
cheers
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: png spindle.png (83.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

My parents DCD-590 had the same problem. I took the cover off had a look played with the clamping mechanism, and (whilst the power was off) gave the disk a bit of a spin.

When I powered it back on the cd spun up and correctly showed the tracks and played fine.

I don't know whether I freed up some stiction in the motor, or whether perhaps I bumped a sensor, but the issue was resolved.

Tony.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.
I've forced the motor to spin up shorting pins 2 and 3 of the op-amp, and it spins fine. Is you follow the input to the op-amp it is marked:
5V = PLAY
0V = STOP

See attached image.

So I'm thinking the controller is not spinning due to a lack of signal?
Attached Images
File Type: png spindle2.png (132.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:41 AM   #4
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Can you trace where pins 2 and 3 go to? I suspect there is a limit switch , may be on the tray mechanism, or on the door perhaps, or possibly on the clamping mechanism. Something that won't spin up the motor unless it is sure that everything is where it is supposed to be.

Does the display come up with the number of tracks etc when you spin up the motor?

Tony
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony.
The send image I attached earlier shows the input to the op-amp coming directly from the controller.
I will have to look and see if I can find any switches on the tray. I have cleaned and checked on the pcb which connects to the spindle and tray motor.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

When I turn it on the screen displays "00" tracks and time blank. The laser lens rises and falls and then it gives time "00m00s".

If the tray was not reaching home, the laser lens would not active would it. Hence I was thinking it was an laser issue?
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Update, when I look at the laser with my phone camera. As the lens rises and falls I can see a RED dot on the camera. So I guess the laser is not dead.
I guess I need to put a scope on it.
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The pickup first needs to find focus on the stationary disc and only if that is achieved will the platter spin up. Its worth checking the height of the platter and making sure its not moved. Very unscientific but you can hold a CD (or bit of broken CD) close to the lens as it performs the focus search operation and fool the player into thinking its found something reflective.

50:50 it could be the pickup (is it a KSS240 or KSS210 type?). Just because there is red light present doesn't mean the laser is OK, the laser diode may just be functioning more like an LED if the diode is faulty. A laser power meter would confirm that.

Beyond that and things get heavy fault finding wise
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly.

It's a KSS240A. I've played around with a CD a different heights and there is no response from the spindle motor. So I guess the laser is duff.

I see CPC (Farnell) are setting it for 17 ex VAT.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ks...40a/dp/AS00004

is that a good price?
Old 2nd July 2019, 01:24 PM   #10
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Nick,
Yes, it sounds like the laser may be after it's best before date. Do you havea laser power meter? If not, use the manual to measure the laser current. The new reading is listed on the paper label on the laser head. You are allowed 10% over before calling the laser dead.

Basically what is happening is that the laser is failing to lock on the CD. The disc only spins after the focus servo locks onto the surface of the disc.

KSS-240A (and 210A) laser heads. The cheap ones do not have sintered bearings where they slide on the rails. They look like copper rings around the slide rails. If the head you are looking at doesn't have these, do not buy it. It will not last very long. The rails will wear into the body of the head and cause it to "dog track" along which will jam the head. This may cause the machine to strip the teeth off the final gear where it drives the rack.

To lubricate the rails, use very fine oil with zero additives and not very much of it either. Wipe off any excess as it will only collect dust and hair. The gear rack on the head has an anti-backlash set of gears, Line them up when you put the last drive gear back in. The rack has to be clean and dry as do the teeth of the mating gear. You can use some light grease on the other gears - not very much.

Good luck on the player. Denon makes very good ones.

-Chris

Denon DCD-595 no spindle movementHide this!Advertise here!