Technics SL-PS900

Hello friends

I have three units of this beautiful CD player. It is a top model of Technics range: separate audio and digital transformers, with separate sources, first level mechanics and self-adjusting pick-up ... only 2 adjustments are necessary when replacing the laser pick-up. Magnetic displacement, similar to the KSS-151A.
Solid and good functioning.

Now I want to go a little further with these units, and I was wondering what would be the most recommended mods, I assume a new clock, and a replacement of capacitors ... but what more mods, would be recommended?

Attachments

• IMG-20190624-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190624-WA0001.jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 650
As you say, clock and replace caps. That will give improvements.

Using bitumen sheets for dampening is worthy.

Better feet can give improvements.

Some good polyester capacitors are worth looking into also as well as a quality power cord

I would do all this and go from there. It depends how far you want to go with it. Uploading schematics may get you some more guidance

Have fun! Interesting to see how you get on

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Judging from the original specs, Technics consistent quality level, and longtime high reputation, I don't see really anything that needs "improvement".
General maintenance perhaps, is all those things might benefit from.
As "picky" as I am, I certainly don't think I'm better than Technics at making equipment.

Thank you all,

This model, I do not know what improvement potential in the end will have, but it looks solid, complete, with separate power supplies for audio and mechanics, and has a solid mechanics with an extremely quiet and smooth operation.
I have the original service manual on paper, and I appreciate being able to download it in pdf.
The first thing is to change or maintain the big capacitors (C53 & C54) of the power supply, the original ones are 3300uf / 63V, and I'm thinking of replacing them with mundorf 10.000uf / 40V, but maybe the jump is too big, for the transformer and I should stay at an intermediate value of 4700uf

Attachments

• NuevoDocumento 2019-06-26 21.26.01.jpg
    NuevoDocumento 2019-06-26 21.26.01.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
One month the capacitors have been slow to arrive and only one afternoon in installing them. A great improvement in the sound, it is as if a veil had been removed, and now we can see.

It is not subjective, it is a fact because I have compared with another unit without modifying, now there will be two units updated.

I have changed all operational (SMD) by LM4562, another good improvement.

Hi, how are you getting on?

With all due respect as I feel you will of improved things please bare in mind it's a fact only against the other equipment you have, it all depends on the value decline of the equipment your comparing it too.

I believe its always best to do what you have done and many prefer to keep things original while not caring about improvements, it's good for them as it's DIY by all means

I have been replacing some power capacitors in the PCB audio, in general the capacitors were in good condition, and with the capacity intact, so I think it is better to add some of the decoupling. I have been riding Panasonic FC and Elna Silmic II. I have also replaced the operational ones by LT072, for my taste it is better than NE5532 to my ears. It has retired like a veil in the audio, and has won in definition.

Attachments

• 20190711_223612.jpg
    20190711_223612.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 237