Daphile (LMS) and Squeezelite help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I've been using Roon for a few years now but I wanted to go the Open Source way and experiment with LMS for a change.

Searching the web, I found several distros for LMS but decided to stop on Daphile, which looked really polished and user friendly. Other that caught my attention were Vortexbox and pCP.

I installed Daphile on my Intel 6 core processor and with 12GB RAM it should swim freely! :)
Install was a breeze and config as well. This part will only be used as a server, no DAC will be connected directly to it.

For the end point (Squeezelite), I've decided to use DietPi installed on my Allo Sparky SBC. Install was also a breeze.

My goal is to have multiple zones available and each zone with its own DAC config. For now I'm concentrating on the primary listening room where I have my Mirand DAC connected through USB on the ALLO Sparky. At first I couldn't see the Sqeezelite distro installed on the ALLO Sparky, although it was well configured and seeing the DAC. I found that on Daphile you have to go on Advanced settings to find the end points discovered by Daphile... So I found the settings and chose to convert PCM to DSD, since this is what I'm doing with Roon. Unfortunately, what I want is DSD 256 and playing PCM files I was not getting anything out of my Mirand DAC...

Searching to the web brought me to the conclusion that DietPi Squeezelite ExecStart line needed some changes

ExecStart=/usr/bin/squeezelite -a 4096:1024:32:0 -C 5 -n 'DietPi-Squeezelite' -f /var/log/squeezelite.log -D :u32be

This did the trick and I'm playing native DSD 64 but there's nowhere I can tell Daphile to only output to DSD 256...

If you're using a local USB DAC connected directly to the Daphile install, in soundcard you can set all the DSD option but on the end point, I can't seem to find any of these options... I don't want to use DSD 64...

So here's where my quest lead me so far! Anyone can help with this?

Thanks
Do

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Options available in Daphile audio settings change depending on what endpoint is used.

Daphile is essentially an LMS plugin, not a server by itself. Some options will not be available in Squeezelite etc.

You will get all standard LMS + Squezzelite options that would be available in a vanilla install. But not all Daphile's own options may be available.

Is there a better distro I could use but that is not overly complicated to setup?

I’m not afraid of complicated but I just don’t feel like having to search the web for days just to configure a DAC. This is what I love with Roon, the setup is simply amazing.

Maybe I can just use another Squeezelite distro that would allow me to setup the required options? I could possible change for a Pi 3 instead.

Thanks
Do

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Unfortunately the only thing guaranteed to work is another Daphile installation with the server set to 'External' instead of internal.

This needs x86 hardware.

A 'vanilla' LMS install with a Squeezelite endpoint will do, but I am not aware of how that would handle DSD content.

Unfortunately the only thing guaranteed to work is another Daphile installation with the server set to 'External' instead of internal.

This needs x86 hardware.

A 'vanilla' LMS install with a Squeezelite endpoint will do, but I am not aware of how that would handle DSD content.

Doing it this way would require Intel hardware since I believe Daphile is only compiled for x86 hardware?

Also, would the DSD processing be done on the server or the endpoint?

Thanks
Do

Have you checked out piCorePlayer

Yep, saw pCP and it looked pretty nice but I'm not too sure about how user friendly it is to setup.

I've read some blog from Klaus (Soundcheck) about this.

My goal is to have everything processed through the server and the endpoint just playing the data stream that is being sent. I don't know if this is something achievable through LMS + Squeezelite?

Do

I'm currently using Daphile installed on a NUC running off USB drive, I have LMS installed on an Odroid SBC set up with DietPi and didn't have an issue at all.

Hi ggotnomoney,

The problem I have is multiple zones (4 zones and soon 5), and if I have to buy a NUC for each it will be way too expensive. For this task, the Pi is way sufficient with my current Roon setup. I have 5 servers at home (real servers, HP, Lenovo) that I got from the job. They ran for 3 years and got retired. They're still plenty beefy. This is why I want all the processing done on the server and use cheap Pi 3 as endpoint.

I was under the impression that LMS was able to process everything and send the processed data to the "bridges/endpoints" to be played on the DACs. If it is not how it works, I might have to seriously rethink my playback strategy.

But I have no more emergency because I had to renew Roon for a year today. I thought I could make this work before today but I just didn't find enough time and resources to make it happen.

I'll keep my quest open here since I'm very interested in making this entire setup work.

Thanks
Do

I just virtualized to Daphile installs, one with Internal and one with External and I can offload all processes to the "server" side, exactly what I wanted. Now I'm very puzzled as to why the author of Daphile is not making a version for the Pi platform as it is so popular and inexpensive! By offloading everything to the server side, the Pi would have enough power to function. I believe this would also allow the author to see his distro get so much more popular.

I don't get it...

Do

I'm not too savvy when it comes to the technical parts of it all. I just knew that I wasn't willing to pay the roon premium price and needed an alternative that just worked and daphile did it for me. I wanted my nuc as a player and the server to either run along side of it or on a separate device. Got it running on my odroid and it works perfectly fine for my needs. Wish u would've got it working before that roon renewal but at least you figured it out.

I just started using it and don't really know much about it's capabilities. I don't even know what DSD is so I'm going to assume that I don't use it. Briefly did a Google search and found this on the Daphile website "Native DSD playback up to DSD512". Don't know if that means anything to you but I hope it helps.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just virtualized to Daphile installs, one with Internal and one with External and I can offload all processes to the "server" side, exactly what I wanted. Now I'm very puzzled as to why the author of Daphile is not making a version for the Pi platform as it is so popular and inexpensive! By offloading everything to the server side, the Pi would have enough power to function. I believe this would also allow the author to see his distro get so much more popular.

I don't get it...

Do

Hi pinnocchio,

When you write "free" software you do what interests you. It's not driven by economics or popularity. I was interested in RPi's, LMS and piCore so I got involved with piCorePlayer. Ironically, ATM I am using a RPi1B for LMS and a RPi4B for the player.

There are quite a few good solutions out there, its just a matter to find one that suits you.

regards

Hi Greg,

You’re totally right, I know. It’s just that the Pi is such a popular platform. But yeah, if there’s no interest it will stay as is.

That said, can I do a setup similar to Roon with pCP? Using server for database and data rendering and endpoints just streaming? Or it’s not how it will work? I’m using DSD 256 and the Pi is not powerful enough to process the PCM to DSD 256 conversion.

I just would like to know the best approach to what I’m trying to achieve.

Thanks
Do

Wow the RPi1B will run LMS? That's the original RPi right? I have a few of those myself.

Hi pinnocchio,

When you write "free" software you do what interests you. It's not driven by economics or popularity. I was interested in RPi's, LMS and piCore so I got involved with piCorePlayer. Ironically, ATM I am using a RPi1B for LMS and a RPi4B for the player.

There are quite a few good solutions out there, its just a matter to find one that suits you.

regards

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wow the RPi1B will run LMS? That's the original RPi right? I have a few of those myself.

Hi ggotnomoney,

Not quite the original 256MB model, but the slightly newer 512MB model.

There are a few conditions though, I only use WAV files, I don't sync players, I don't upsample and I don't expect the LMS web interface to be blindly fast. Rescanning take 45 minutes.

"I" find it perfectly useable YMMV.

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.