Upgrade YBA Passion 1000 CDP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Morning,
I open this thread to ask for help. I have a cd player YBA Passion 1000 double power suplie. It is already an old model and in recent times I have tried to make some improvements

- I have changed the original signal cable to the RCA output. I use silver Duelund cable.
- I have replaced the original opamps with Burson Audio opamps.
- Following the recommendation of Burson audio, I have connected a cap of 0.01 uf to each opamp. Burson Supreme Sound (SS) Opamp 101 Part 1 (MKP cap tweak) – Burson Audio
- I replaced the CD player fuses.

These are my doubts:
- Would you change the RCA connectors for others of higher quality?
- Would you exchange the caps marked in the photo with a red circle for others of higher quality? Do these caps marked with a circle do the same function as the ones I have connected to the Burson opamps?
-Do you make any other improvement?

Best regards
Toni

yba.jpg IMG_0989.jpg IMG_1008.jpg caps opamps yba.jpg jupiter caps.jpg IMG_3366.jpg

Hi Toni,
I presume the decoupling caps between the Burson are the +- supply, are they about 100uf in value ? Yes changing those will affect the sound. What improvements are you after ?

Hi, thanks for answering. The value of these electrolytic capacitors is 1 uf. The mkp have a value of 0.022 uf. My question is whether, after adding a pair of 0.1 uf capacitors (following the recommendation of burson audio) to "feed" the two Burson opamps (with two good quality Jupiter capacitors), it is worth replacing the capacitors indicated by others of higher quality.

I'm looking to improve the sound in general. Each improvement that I have made has improved the sound: greater detail, smoothness, body, microdynamic ...

The sound of my YBA CD is not as detailed as, for example, the D / A converter Auralic Vega (which I have been able to compare) but it is more musical, a more "analog" sound than the Auralic.

Yes seems like wood is use for some sort of resonance control.
Re the 0.22 uf cap, can you verify if it is connected in series to the 1uf E cap or ???
If you have a schematic would make things much easier to assist.

Cheers

I do not have any scheme but in the attached photo you can see that the printed circuit with replicates the scheme used.

Attachments

• esquema.jpg
    esquema.jpg
    1,012 KB · Views: 187
You can play with the 1uf cap first. I believe the .22 uf cap is connected in series with the E cap at attain a certain sound. Try different brands of cap from 1 uf to 4.7 uf to see its effect on sound. Different caps will have different sonic signature so this only you can find out what suits you best.

You can play with the 1uf cap first. I believe the .22 uf cap is connected in series with the E cap at attain a certain sound. Try different brands of cap from 1 uf to 4.7 uf to see its effect on sound. Different caps will have different sonic signature so this only you can find out what suits you best.

OK thanks. At this point I understand that the MKP cap is added to the electrolytic caps and both offer a certain sounic signature. As I have added another cap of 0.1 uf, this adds to the other caps modifying the sounic signature (as in fact has happened).

BR

Toni

Hello, I am thinking about the possibility of replacing the electrolytic caps of 1 uf per MKP caps that "feed" the opamps. It is true that there is little space between the opamps and electrolitic caps. an alternative is to take advantage of the space marked in the photo and connect with extra cable the caps with the printed-circuit board. This way I could have more possibilities with the 1uf cap. (for example, one type mkp instead of electrolytic.) The original mkp caps are connected to the electrolytic ones, interestingly, the printed circuit board is "duplicated" as indicated in the photo. But the problem is that electrolytic one of the two holes has a marked "+." (view photo). These caps have polarity? I did not know. If so, my plan is not possible since I do not know any MKP cap that has positive and negative. Can someone help me?

Another question, does anyone have any sound improvement experience replacing the RCA terminals? can it make sense to change the RCA terminals of my cd through the terminals of this link? WBT 0210-CuMs RCA Female Jack

actual configuración.jpg

my plan.jpg

caps polarity.jpg

espacio marcado.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

BR

Toni

Interesting thread. Nice one 🙂

I would change the electrolytic caps near the rectifiers to Panasonic FR and the rest to Nichicon Fine Gold or Audio Note if you want something a little special.

The blue Wimas caps are more than good enough

The phono plugs won't gain any improvements and would only change them for piece of mind if you like the looks of quality

How was the fuses change for you? , much debate on fuses and interesting to know how you found them

Ok, I understand that the symbol (+) in the printed circuit indicates that the caps are Bipolar and, therefore, the polarity must be connected correctly. My question: can I replace a bipolar capacitor with an MKP without paying attention to the polarity? This is important for me, because if it is not possible, I will only be able to improve the bipolar caps by other bipolar ones of better quality

Interesting thread. Nice one 🙂

I would change the electrolytic caps near the rectifiers to Panasonic FR and the rest to Nichicon Fine Gold or Audio Note if you want something a little special.

The blue Wimas caps are more than good enough

Thanks for you atention, when you refer to "change the electrolytic caps near the rectifiers", do you mean the caps marked with a red circle in the photo? I just thought about changing the caps that are "connected" with Burson opamps. What sound improvement can offer change the caps that you indicate?
caps near rectifiers.jpg

How was the fuses change for you? , much debate on fuses and interesting to know how you found them

Yes, talking about sound improvements by changing fuses is controversial. I do not want to have any ugly discussion with anyone on this topic. In Spanish forums people get very angry about this issue. Also talking about cables.

My music room has a low and flat RT even at low frequencies. I know the sound of my audio system. I have seen improvements by changing the fuses: more detail and dynamic contrast, greater air feeling (Sorry, I translate directly from Spanish). I want to create no controversy. Each situation is different.

BR

Toni

Yes I would change all the bottom half of the image to Panasonic FR te be honest. Those big caps can benefit too.

I wouldn't use WBT solder again, seemed to be too much high temperature for me on the stuff I worked on. No solder will give benefits in sound IMO. Reflow just means reheating the joints again, I like to keep existing leads short as possible using nail clippers yet don't think it's important

Good feedback on the fuses and stand. Glad your happy with them

Finally, I have acquired a pair of jupiter caps of o, 1 uf (plus the two that I already have) and four bipolar caps audio note of 100 uf and 25V (the original is 1uf and 100V but I believe that with the value of 25V It's enough).

Attachments

• audio note caps.jpg
    audio note caps.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.