Studer D730 "Control OUE" message, won't play

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My D730 recently stopped playing, at first it would play then displayed the message, and all buttons would stop working and it would play until the end of the CD.

recently as soon as it powers up, the message "control oue" poped up, and nothing works.

Any idea what's causing this? I opened t up and noticed the battery was leaking, I went ahead and replaced it, same thing. no damage on the PCB or surrounding parts.

I'm thinking about to replace all the capacitors next

5bQ12DQ.jpg

My D730 recently stopped playing, at first it would play then displayed the message, and all buttons would stop working and it would play until the end of the CD.

recently as soon as it powers up, the message "control oue" poped up, and nothing works.

Any idea what's causing this? I opened t up and noticed the battery was leaking, I went ahead and replaced it, same thing. no damage on the PCB or surrounding parts.

I'm thinking about to replace all the capacitors next

Hi there,

My D731 (same as D730 in rack format) did exactly the same thing and I managed to resurrect it. It took quite a while to locate the cause of this issue.
Problem was down to broken PCB tracks between keyboard connector and microprecessor. Tracks had been "eaten" by battery's acid.
Have a look here Audiolalies: STUDER D731 (use Google Translate) and here Studer D731 - Google Photos

Replacing the capacitors won't help for your control out problem but it's a good idea anyway, I found one dead 47µF in the analog section (they're 20 years old today).

I hope it helps.

Thanks for the info!

in my case the battery acid didn't spread that far at all and didn't damage the tracks or penetrate the other side of the PCB. i'll have another look later on.

i also found info about IC903 / IC905 being aging and will increase voltage and damage HEF4750 , it is also mentioned in the article you sent. I ordered replacement anyway and will replace them and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks for the info!
in my case the battery acid didn't spread that far at all and didn't damage the tracks or penetrate the other side of the PCB. i'll have another look later on.
Thoroughly check continuity between ALL J201 pins and their destinations (MOSI, MISO, K_SEL). You may have issues under the connector base that can't be seen without removing it from PCB. A diode tester is OK to check this out.

i also found info about IC903 / IC905 being aging and will increase voltage and damage HEF4750 , it is also mentioned in the article you sent. I ordered replacement anyway and will replace them and see if it solves the problem.
If IC903 goes belly-up yes, it would damage HEF4750. I bought one, just to be safe, but priority is to improve those regulators cooling.

Good luck ;)

Thierry,
Read with great interest your other posts on the Bose 1800 restoration.
Excellent re-build. They are a fantastic sounding amplifier
Have a couple of 1800's in various conditions, and intend attempting to follow your restoration tips to try and get at least 1 working.

Re the Studer D731, I recently got my hands on a working unit.
I've read about the battery leak, so that's my first thing to do. Any other information or links to upgrades would be great.
Did you ever do a step-by-step blog on your D731?

Many thanks

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.