Sony SCD-XA5400ES Laser Replacement (How Easy?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Contemplating picking up a used Sony SCD XA5400ES SACD player, but concerned that the laser might go out and I might be stuck with a brick. Aftermarket laser assemblies are available, but wondering how difficult it is to replace the laser assembly on this unit.

Has anyone successfully done this? And if so, how difficult was it?

For example, I've heard replacing the laser on a Denon DVD-3910 is really difficult and read accounts of people trying and not being successful.

Thanks!

The problem with sony hi-end players is the lack of support from service agents. To change the laser you will need the calibration discs which are not available and I have not been able to find a service agent who still possess a copy!
Phone your/ all the service agents in your area to see if they still have the discs on hand and if they will lend them to you or undertake the change or recalibration for you.
I still have a sony dvp-ns9100es which won't play sacds as it needs calibration.

The problem with sony hi-end players is the lack of support from service agents. To change the laser you will need the calibration discs which are not available and I have not been able to find a service agent who still possess a copy!
Phone your/ all the service agents in your area to see if they still have the discs on hand and if they will lend them to you or undertake the change or recalibration for you.
I still have a sony dvp-ns9100es which won't play sacds as it needs calibration.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I have a DVP-S9000ES that I got for really cheap. It plays single layer SACDs, but only the CD layer of hybrids.

I've read great things about the 5400ES, but the price of the unit I'm looking at, while under market, is not trivial enough to risk spending the $ if the laser can not be replaced.

Check whether the dvp-s9000es needs calibration discs or if there is another way of calibrating it.
Maybe worth checking the 5400es calibration method by downloading the service manual or contacting the sony service agents or alternatively look for an alternative make which has a history of longer support for it'd top end models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.