Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?
Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2019, 09:26 PM   #1
AC439 is offline AC439  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?

I have had three CD changers failed on me. Basically its nothing quite related to electronics but the complex loading\unloading\disc changing mechanism.

First was a Onkyo changer, then an RCA changer, few days ago was a Sony changer.

Maybe I should be using a PS1 as player. Its simple mechanically. Right ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Andersonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Marin County, California
Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?
Changers are an abomination. Can't you hear it eating itself?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 02:45 AM   #3
phase is online now phase  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
I went for something different altogether to get rid of mechanical problems;

Lossless SD digital turntable Player (Deluxe version) II2S coaxial output | eBay

This one is ready to go, but with a spdif output;

DC12V SD Digital Turntable Lossless Music Player Coaxial 2.8" TFT LCD MP3 FLAC | eBay
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 05:30 AM   #4
chris719 is online now chris719  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Connecticut
Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
I have had three CD changers failed on me. Basically its nothing quite related to electronics but the complex loading\unloading\disc changing mechanism.

First was a Onkyo changer, then an RCA changer, few days ago was a Sony changer.

Maybe I should be using a PS1 as player. Its simple mechanically. Right ?
I would just rip all of your CDs using ExactAudioCopy and a PC and then play it back with some kind of non-CD device like phase linked.

At least you'll have them backed up in case the discs get damaged or you can't find a CD player again at some point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 07:57 AM   #5
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Aalborg Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
I went for something different altogether to get rid of mechanical problems;

Lossless SD digital turntable Player (Deluxe version) II2S coaxial output | eBay

This one is ready to go, but with a spdif output;

DC12V SD Digital Turntable Lossless Music Player Coaxial 2.8" TFT LCD MP3 FLAC | eBay
What is this? - I dont see where to put the record.
Cheers!
Allan
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 12:40 PM   #6
AC439 is offline AC439  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I would just rip all of your CDs using ExactAudioCopy and a PC and then play it back with some kind of non-CD device like phase linked.

At least you'll have them backed up in case the discs get damaged or you can't find a CD player again at some point.
I thought about this also but if I go this route, I want a player that I can mod with better coupling caps, bypass caps and op-amp rolling etc. Most available products are SMD\SMT making modding difficult. I used to use a PC to play ripped music, if I go this route again, I will put a good sound card but still mod options are not there. That's why I went back to CD players but hate to deal with mechanical issues.

Any suggestions other than those on _bay to play music files ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Aalborg Denmark
Use pc with optical out. Some laptops has too
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 07:40 PM   #8
rhing is offline rhing  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rhing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Sony Playstation 1 Model SCPH-100x consoles sound great, but the OEM laser units are no longer available, so when they go, they are gone. I wouldn’t go for the replacement units from eBay, because they simply do not work.
__________________
Rich
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 02:17 AM   #9
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Andersonix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Marin County, California
Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
I thought about this also but if I go this route, I want a player that I can mod with better coupling caps, bypass caps and op-amp rolling etc. Most available products are SMD\SMT making modding difficult.
Find a player that uses a DAC with direct out possibility:
Mod for Oppo DV-980H: direct output from CS4361 DAC
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 03:00 PM   #10
phase is online now phase  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
The DAC is what typically receives most of the modifications, and that could be a separate board after the source/player. That and the preamp/headphone amp that can be used after the DAC.

Once you buy into an over priced consumer device, the modification process will be constrained by what has been built into that already. If you build/assemble your own, it will cost around $400-500, using nice parts, and offer more flexibility to use what you want. My setup has no coupling caps, for example.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony TA-N55ES help with some odd issues Barwell1992 Solid State 2 19th February 2019 05:04 PM
problem with old Sony PS-LX510 linear-tracking turntable -- mechanical question Pickngrin Analogue Source 21 15th February 2015 08:53 PM
sony ps-t2 speed issues lexx21 Analogue Source 4 13th April 2014 11:04 PM
Avoid playing Sony/BMG discs on your computer DSP_Geek Everything Else 53 27th December 2005 02:25 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2019 diyAudio
Wiki