Maybe go for Sony PS1 to avoid mechanical issues?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had three CD changers failed on me. Basically its nothing quite related to electronics but the complex loading\unloading\disc changing mechanism.

First was a Onkyo changer, then an RCA changer, few days ago was a Sony changer.

Maybe I should be using a PS1 as player. Its simple mechanically. Right ?

I have had three CD changers failed on me. Basically its nothing quite related to electronics but the complex loading\unloading\disc changing mechanism.

First was a Onkyo changer, then an RCA changer, few days ago was a Sony changer.

Maybe I should be using a PS1 as player. Its simple mechanically. Right ?

I would just rip all of your CDs using ExactAudioCopy and a PC and then play it back with some kind of non-CD device like phase linked.

At least you'll have them backed up in case the discs get damaged or you can't find a CD player again at some point.

I would just rip all of your CDs using ExactAudioCopy and a PC and then play it back with some kind of non-CD device like phase linked.

At least you'll have them backed up in case the discs get damaged or you can't find a CD player again at some point.

I thought about this also but if I go this route, I want a player that I can mod with better coupling caps, bypass caps and op-amp rolling etc. Most available products are SMD\SMT making modding difficult. I used to use a PC to play ripped music, if I go this route again, I will put a good sound card but still mod options are not there. That's why I went back to CD players but hate to deal with mechanical issues.

Any suggestions other than those on _bay to play music files ?

The DAC is what typically receives most of the modifications, and that could be a separate board after the source/player. That and the preamp/headphone amp that can be used after the DAC.

Once you buy into an over priced consumer device, the modification process will be constrained by what has been built into that already. If you build/assemble your own, it will cost around $400-500, using nice parts, and offer more flexibility to use what you want. My setup has no coupling caps, for example.

Thanks ya'll for all the ideas. $400-500 for me is not possible since I have an anti-HiFi wife.

So I'm back to fixing the CD changer. After finding a video on youtube about common Sony 5 disc CD changer problems, I was able to revive my broken Sony. It was that ribbon cable between the 5 disc tray and the main board.

I was able to repair the cable since it broke right at the connection. I cut at the break line and moved the backing plastic piece over and scratched off enough insulation to make new contacts. After I installed it back, I tested the connection with a ohmmeter and all is well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.