CD skipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Morning all

I am currently making a JVC (EZ-RC51) Shigaclone as a gift for my brother (50th).

Its going great and I will post pics when it is done.

BUT

I am having a skipping issue. Sadly I do not know if this was a pre-existing issue ie. prior to pulling the guts out of the boombox - that was done some years ago and this project has been sitting around waiting for completion.

The pcbs has been modded as per tim.cheapo.cc pdf

- PSu is 2200uf Elna Starget > LM7808 > 1000uf Oscon
- C906 is Mundorf Silver/Gold
- C916 is BG standard
- Citizen crystal
- Laser mods

The skipping
- sometimes random
- sometimes the skipping is exact same spot of cd
- sometimes just a single blip before playing on
- sometimes continuous stutter
- sometimes track will not complete and disc just spins, can then FF to next track or pause/play will return the audio for a bit.

Here's what I have done/looked at but have not yet been able to resolve the skipping.

- A virgin laser will have same issue - which I was hoping would be the fix because although redoing the laser mods is a pain at least that would be problem solved
- checked and rechecked all soldering

I wondered if it was an issue with the spindle height - but as the platter is solid and can't be moved I don't see how that could have altered from stock.

For arguments sake I will pull the Citizen crystal and replace with original to rule that out

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Joined 2016
Paid Member
YeeHaa!! Got ya!!

After much head scratching and poking I found a tiny short across the pins of the 0.1uf cap from when I replaced C906. I could tell from the moment the music started that I had the glitch solved - the music was much less congested and the bass better, and that was even before going merrily over the usual skipping spots in my test CDs.

Rock solid now - including my problem CDs

Always glad to be able to put things right >> You should see me dancing round the living room right now

(Note to self: 2 things needed for the future - better lighting in my work area and magnifying glasses!!!)

If you are interested here are some pics of the final product

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.