Sony Optical Device KHM230AAA/J1 882013209

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is now another laser replacement unit that can be added to the list of the unobtainable Sony lasers.
The KHM230AAA has long been in short supply and for a high price for a genuine Sony unit. They have also always shown up in google searches as available from various ebay or amazon vendors, most of them in China.
But there are often other vendors that come up in google searches that make it appear that they have genuine Sony replacement lasers.

I recently thought I had need to seek out another laser for my old Marantz SA-8260. I knew the best suppliers were the official Sony parts dealers, Encompass Audio in the US, and EETGroup.eu for Sony Europe. A search on their parts lists show the KHM230AAA/J1 882013209 unit to be no longer available. However I did hope there might be some place that still had a small supply of NOS units.
And I was desperate enough to start looking at the German sites, the prices of which have always been well above the official Sony price. I contacted Donberg Electronics as they always come up in searches. The do not have stock but try to get it. They quickly replied that they could not get it. Situation now became dire, so I went with another German vendor, martin-electronik, that showed "Available Now"
You can see it right here: Sony Optical Device KHM230AAA/J1 882013209, € 340,94 - Compute

However, it is not "Available Now", as it took 10 days for them to acquire a unit. And with mailing, well, it took a month to get "Available Now".
And then after all that when I installed the laser in my player it didn't work. I know the procedure for replacing lasers in the SA-8260, and I've also in the distant past replaced lasers with Genuine Sony's, and they work from the get go. And though "Available Now" does not expressly state that returns are not accepted, they are not. Martin was quite up front about that.

There has always been Supermanmeliu in Taiwan. I have twice purchased there. Once was when I was repairing someone's player, and once when I wanted one for myself. In both instances the initial unit did not work properly and I had to get a second unit. However the one I got for myself a couple years ago just doesn't work right, and I can't be bothered.

So yes the KHM230AAA/J1-882013209 is for all intents and purposes unobtainable now.
Pity

I'm in the same boat, unfortunately.
My Sony SCD-555ES has now had 2 different lasers installed from another German supplier, though not charging nearly as much, and both lasers are not working properly.
Fortunately, I paid through PayPal, and when going through them, the German supplier seems very willing to help. Otherwise he is not!

1st one could only read 1 of 10 hybrid SACD discs, while the next seems to be a bit better with hybrids, but often takes a loooong time to start playing, while frantically running the spindle motor up/down in speed.
I furthermore had to cannibalize the 1st drive, as the 2nd drive I received as a replacement, was incorrectly adjusted, meaning that the laser head would collide with the spindle before reaching the end stop.

There is no doubt in my mind, that these German suppliers are selling chinese copy parts at premium prices!

I’ve have been dealing with multiple bad laser mechanisms for quite some time now.

I originally had a spare from Supermanmeliu (purchased when the original started to act up), however did not work when the laser completely stopped working. I tried Supermanmeliu again, but did not have luck with cd spin up, let alone playing redbook CD or SACD.

I also tried some other laser only (no drive motor)from eBay. Then having to transfer the laser to the drive motor. Again...no luck.

Both times I was able to get my money back via eBay money back guarantee.

At this point, I was about to write off the player and move on with life. I actually purchased one of the remain oppo 205s. But, I really wanted to repair this unit.

I then searched on eBay and found a decent price on ‘new’ Sony lasers from Germany. Here is where I discovered the significance of the dumper(damper) orientation. When oriented correctly, the disc would spin and read redbook CD (not very well, and not all the time) and it did read SACD but very unreliable and inconsistent. The player would error out more often then playing. They sent me another laser mechanism and similar results. They are currently on their way back to the vendor for return/refund.

Based on Steve’s information above, I contacted ReliableParts in Canada. The cost of the mechanism was definitely on the high end. But once I installed it it has played CD, SACD flawlessly. Just like it did when I first purchased the player new. Very happy that all of the functions work, stereo to multi-channel. Everything just works. Imagine that...

I put a cd in and it plays. Simple stuff, I know...but it’s been a long, long time since it has worked this reliable. Hopefully, it continues until I can transfer the SACD to 100% pure digital audio.

FYI...according to reliable parts, this was the last laser mechanism part, but could have been a sales pitch for me to purchase. It’s still listed on their site, but says to call on availability.

I bought a new sealed mechanism
and he was not fully working
very strange
and tried it on two decks scd 9000 and scd 333

maybe you know such a question

these two decks are the same RF BOARD

schemes are completely identical

but they are somehow attached to MAIN BOARD

chip 1881 is it programmed??

scd 9000 after warming up cxd1881 stops reading sacd hybrid

wanted to put RF BOARD scd333es
MAIN BOARD SCD9000 does not see RF BOARD scd333es

also MAIN BOARD SCD333 does not see RF BOARD 9000es
strange

By the way, I bought khm230 8-820-132-03 this is the first revision have a german on EBAY 320еur

sound cd got much better

do not read hybrid sacd

only sacd read

after trying to adjust regulator sacd

stopped reading sacd
and worsening reading TOC CD
how could this happen? strange

worth it to be 882013209 such a revision 09
she is later

Hi all,
Has anyone ordered replacement parts from Liberty Electronics in Florida. They say they have a large range of parts for many diiferent OEMs etc. I am looking for a new laser unit (KHM234AMA) for my Sony SCD-XA3000ES. Tried Dönberg in Ireland but they do not have stock. They asked if the KHM234ASAA could be used in its place. Just can't find electronic specs for either of these units anywhere.
Liberty shows that they have the unit, just don't know if they're any good.

Any suggestions?
Kevin, Pretoria

Hi all,
Has anyone ordered replacement parts from Liberty Electronics in Florida. They say they have a large range of parts for many diiferent OEMs etc. I am looking for a new laser unit (KHM234AMA) for my Sony SCD-XA3000ES. Tried Dönberg in Ireland but they do not have stock. They asked if the KHM234ASAA could be used in its place. Just can't find electronic specs for either of these units anywhere.
Liberty shows that they have the unit, just don't know if they're any good.

Any suggestions?
Kevin, Pretoria

Kevin,
The answers here are Yes and No.
Yes, I have bought KHM230AAA laser from Liberty in 2012. And it worked on rbcd and sacd. However, shortly thereafter Liberty no longer had these lasers in stock.
No, as far as I know the KHM234 laser cannot be substituted for the KHM230 laser.

Since there are no longer any NOS KHM230 lasers, the best bet is to get one from Supermanmeliu in Taiwan. I have had mixed results, but your Sony player may give different results to my Marantz player.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks. I checked with a few other people I have know and they say the 234ASAA (DVD head) cannot be used, but that the 234AMA is a replacement for the 230AAA. Would be great to be able to get the sec sheets for these units. I'll try Supermanmeliu.

Kevin

Hi Steve,

Many thanks. I checked with a few other people I have know and they say the 234ASAA (DVD head) cannot be used, but that the 234AMA is a replacement for the 230AAA. Would be great to be able to get the sec sheets for these units. I'll try Supermanmeliu.

Kevin

The KHM230AAA laser was used in a lot of early sacd players. I have never heard or read of any other Sony laser as a replacement.
If you have it on good authority that you can substitute the KHM234, then it would be worth a go as there would be nothing to lose. The letters after the number only refer to the shape of the plastic head on the motor spindle. You can always just pull the head off your old motor and use that. The sacd head are sloped and the dvd heads are straight.

If memory serves me a little I think the KHM234 laser mech is quite available in many laser replacement parts houses, and it's not nearly as pricey as a proper KHM230.

Whatever you find out, learn, experience, etc., please post here.

Steve

Hi Steve, will do. Ordered two mechanisms from Liberty on EB. There is a top notch gentleman nearby who is well known for handling the more pricey type of equipment. I have already contacted him and he is more than willing to assist.
Might take up to 3 months to arrive via the SA C&E and Post Office but I will post ASAP.
Kevin

Hi Steve, will do. Ordered two mechanisms from Liberty on EB. There is a top notch gentleman nearby who is well known for handling the more pricey type of equipment. I have already contacted him and he is more than willing to assist.
Might take up to 3 months to arrive via the SA C&E and Post Office but I will post ASAP.
Kevin

3 months! Wow, where do you live? Definitely keep us posted.

Morons

3 months! Wow, where do you live? Definitely keep us posted.
Getting the stuff to South Africa is reasonably quick. Package from China was sent out on 3 October, arrived on 18 Oct, arrived at local PO on 21 Oct ..... I picked up the package this morning. Did a track 'n trace on the waybill number yesterday at work, where it said first notification had been sent to me by the South African PO - I definitely did not receive a notification. I actually did the search through the PO logging book myself, and found the PO reference number. That's almost three months folks. Bloody morons who work at the PO.

Hi Steve,
The new mechanisms (ordered 2 WTH) arrived 10 days ago. I'm unfortunately not mobile currently (foot op) so cannot get the player and heads to the repair dude. Probably will only be able to get it to him in early April. I will provide feedback eventually.

Regards,

Kevin

An update
I'm mobile again but we're in a lock-down like so many other countries. Will just have to wait till we are allowed to travel to other cities again. I do not have the expertise, know-how or equipment to attempt this myself. Will get there eentually.
Kevin

Hi Gents,
Lock down now such that I could travel again. I can report 100% total success. Took my SCD-XA3000ES to Roland (repair guru) and he did the replacement and tested it. Told me it seems to be working fine. Connected back into my system, switched everything on, put in an SACD to play and walked away.
Was busy helping a friend cut some aluminium profiles in the afternoon, so only got back to my system after some supper. I have never heard the player the way it sounds now. Very obviously the previous laser/mechanism was on its way out (picked it up 2nd-hand) - with this new one, absolutely bloody sublime. I am going to order another spare mechanism (or two) from Liberty just in case. Don't have the cash lying around for another player for the foreseeable future.
Here is the link to the Liberty part that I got hold of:

NEW OPTICAL LASER LENS MECHANISM - model: KHM-234AAA / KHM-234AMA | eBay

P.S. Cost for repair? The 2nd mechanism that I gave to Roland in case one was faulty. Hence getting at least one more

Last edited:
Hi Gents,
Lock down now such that I could travel again. I can report 100% total success. Took my SCD-XA3000ES to Roland (repair guru) and he did the replacement and tested it. Told me it seems to be working fine. Connected back into my system, switched everything on, put in an SACD to play and walked away.
Was busy helping a friend cut some aluminium profiles in the afternoon, so only got back to my system after some supper. I have never heard the player the way it sounds now. Very obviously the previous laser/mechanism was on its way out (picked it up 2nd-hand) - with this new one, absolutely bloody sublime. I am going to order another spare mechanism (or two) from Liberty just in case. Don't have the cash lying around for another player for the foreseeable future.
Here is the link to the Liberty part that I got hold of:

NEW OPTICAL LASER LENS MECHANISM - model: KHM-234AAA / KHM-234AMA | eBay

P.S. Cost for repair? The 2nd mechanism that I gave to Roland in case one was faulty. Hence getting at least one more

Well, good for you is all I can say. I just reread your post and you have a Sony XA3000ES and not a Marantz. It's a big difference as Sony's do have calibration procedure and Marantz does not.
All the best, Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.