Philips CDR-760 'audio' CD-R/RW mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Recently finished a project in which I modified a Philips CDR-760 in order to make it record to regular CD-R/RWs, not just 'audio' ones. There is a modchip available online, however, as I couldn't find anything else online about modding the recorder, I thought it'd be more interesting to figure out how the mod-chip worked and make my own rather than buying one ready made.

I presume most people record straight to their computers these days using a nice ADC, but in case there's anyone else who still uses a standalone CD recorder (specifically a Philips CDR-760 or closely related model), here is a guide into modding your own machine.

In the wiki, I included information about why I did this, how it works, and how you can do it yourself.

I hope this helps someone :)

Last edited:
Is this suitable for the CDR765?

I believe it should work, the CDR-765 looks like a CDR-760 with an extra optical drive for playing/recording from. They also share the same service manual, I presume the main optical drive that can record to discs is almost/exactly the same. The pages in the service manual with the chips on that the mod taps into are labeled with both the CDR-760 and CDR-765 too.

Hi Samwell
I was trying to download the file CDR_760_mod.ino and so far not successful. It said i need to log in. Did I do anything wrong?

Finally I managed to download the file after trying a few times. I going to mod my Philips CDR 760. Thanks.

Hi, sorry you were having trouble downloading the file, I'm not sure why that happened as the repository is set to public.

Let me know how it goes, I'm recording a record to a non-audio CD-RW with my modded CDR-760 right now :)

No Much Joy but except few commercial cdr that work

Hi
Thought to give some update. I did manage to get some of the commercial cdr disc to work not all so still no much joy but at least some work thats wonderful.

Wondering you have any rejection on some? The first time after modded i didn't have much luck as all the commercial disc didn't recognise by the Phlips CDR 760. I went on to changed the laser, got a spare from ebay, and it works on some of the commercial cdr. So still better than none. Anyway, i will experiment the CDRW disc and hope it work.

slkhu

Hi
Thought to give some update. I did manage to get some of the commercial cdr disc to work not all so still no much joy but at least some work thats wonderful.

Wondering you have any rejection on some? The first time after modded i didn't have much luck as all the commercial disc didn't recognise by the Phlips CDR 760. I went on to changed the laser, got a spare from ebay, and it works on some of the commercial cdr. So still better than none. Anyway, i will experiment the CDRW disc and hope it work.

slkhu

Hi

The laser used in these units are old ones and I believe they have trouble reading new discs. I have some new Maxell CD-Rs (the ones I mentioned in the writeup) that I got before starting this projects and I sometimes get OPCFAIL when I try to use one (it seems to play music written by other devices from them though). The discs I use are 'TUFF DISC 700MB 4x CD-RW', I scored about 20 of them on eBay around the time I did this project for a few quid. I have also tried some 'Tesco CD-RW 12x 700MB' that I've had for over a decade

By rejection do you mean OPCFAIL? If so, the mod is working and its the discs being used. I'm guessing that maybe the tolerances for CD-RWs are higher because of the cycles that they have to go through each time they are re-written so maybe you'd have more luck with those. I only use mine with CD-RWs (the TUFF ones) now as I don't like having to buy, use once and throw out.

Hi all!

Recently finished a project in which I modified a Philips CDR-760 in order to make it record to regular CD-R/RWs, not just 'audio' ones. There is a modchip available online, however, as I couldn't find anything else online about modding the recorder, I thought it'd be more interesting to figure out how the mod-chip worked and make my own rather than buying one ready made.

I presume most people record straight to their computers these days using a nice ADC, but in case there's anyone else who still uses a standalone CD recorder (specifically a Philips CDR-760 or closely related model), here is a guide into modding your own machine:

Home * Wiki * Samuel / CDR760Mod * GitLab

In the wiki, I included information about why I did this, how it works, and how you can do it yourself.

I hope this helps someone :)
can't make the link work. Can you help? I really need this for my recorder.

can't make the link work. Can you help? I really need this for my recorder.

Hi,

does someone has a clone of Samuels gitlab ? I got a Philips CDR 760 and I am very interested in this modification.

Thanks a lot.

Hi, sorry about the link. I'm not sure what happened with it, it's working for me. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll get it sorted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.