Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Best conversion of old CD's to lossless?
Best conversion of old CD's to lossless?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2019, 09:12 PM   #101
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default FLAC finito

I finally finished converting nearly 500 CDs into FLAC files using EAC. Took me nearly two months. Put the whole lot onto a Win XP netbook with the OS stripped down to the bare essentials. Playback is with foobar2000 through a Behringer UCA202 DAC and with the onboard EQ and mixdown to mono at the DSP stage, my response is WOW! It may not be hi-fidelity, but it sure did get my feet tapping and hands clapping before supper tonight. Sounds like a good clean punch in the face, and I like it a lot.

I can now forgive Apple for the mess they call iTunes, as my new setup with foobar2000 really does deliver the goods. Playback is through a 6 inch AlNiCo guitar speaker embedded in a LeCleach horn, which after a year of listening was beginning to grate upon me a bit. It is through trial and error that I finally understand the significance of matching all the levels between components before they eventually hit the speaker cone.

Sure glad to have persevered with what I already have without spending any more money.

ToS
Old 13th April 2019, 10:02 PM   #102
dreamth is offline dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestryofsound View Post
I finally finished converting nearly 500 CDs into FLAC files using EAC. Took me nearly two months. Put the whole lot onto a Win XP netbook with the OS stripped down to the bare essentials. Playback is with foobar2000 through a Behringer UCA202 DAC and with the onboard EQ and mixdown to mono at the DSP stage, my response is WOW! It may not be hi-fidelity, but it sure did get my feet tapping and hands clapping before supper tonight. Sounds like a good clean punch in the face, and I like it a lot.

ToS
One more proof for the fact that wav 16bit is good enough.

Best conversion of old CD's to lossless?Hide this!Advertise here!