My first project : Marantz CD 48 disc not spinning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the long delay. So far only the resistors from the DAC to the fixed out, the variable out and the headphones.

I have been considering replacing the resistors used around the crystal. First, need to know if it could have an impact. Checking datasheets and service manuals.

Following upgrades have been added:

Takman metal film resistors from DAC to RCA.
Wima 0.1µF film cap on the Vref to bypass existing Nichicon 220µF cap.
Vishay fast recovery diodes ( instead of schottkys ).

Sounds great. I dont know what else i could upgrade.

Though I have 2 small problems.

The cd tray still auto closes too soon, in 50% of the cases. It might be triggered what it thinks is it being shoved back in without it being the case. I dont know where i should look that causes this effect.

Another issue is if the player hasnt been turned on for a while the first time you turn it back on you see the motor trying to spin the cd (moves 1mm and then gives up). The display shows "Reading" as status and then after 5 seconds goes to "service error".
When i turn it back off and on the Cd player will work perfectly as intended.
I assume somewhere i added too much capacitance in the PSU area so the cap doesnt respond/give power fast enough as the cd read mechanism expects and believes there is an error then. There are 5 caps changed for bigger ones. But i cant figure out if this is the actual issue and which one provides power to that section of the cd player.

Any input is appreciated.

CD players can be difficult as the whole system has multiple feedback loops, anything in the loop fails and the whole thing shuts down.

Also upgrading before the unit was working has introduced more variables.

Have you checked the voltages also check for ripple, the manual should have voltages listed.

Does the motor turn freely by hand.

Check and reseat all connectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.