Best way to mod cheap cd-players-enhancing the noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Doesn't really matter...that's why i actually believe that audio engineering is best done for your own ears and pleasure.If it works for me it's enough.I don't need any believer!Do what you wanna do, feel what you feel! Next move is to build a real tape machine, for which i have a new concept again and so on...I like to reinvent the past in a new form.I truly believe that there's no real improvement in playing audio in the last 20-30 years...There's no real "play" in the audio world anymore, it's just on-off audio.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Last embodiment: OPA2228 for the playback preamp, paralleled njm4556 , then njm2043(much lower noise which also allow me to saturate the rec head a bit more with no background noise) in unity gain with common mode cancelation resistor(1k) for the rec tapehead amp, only an lm4562 with the usual 100 ohms series resistor in series with the 4nF integrating capacitor ,...as i/v stage for tda1541 as the Sony cdp750 doesn't even have a low pass filter in the output...anyway i have lots of passive RLC filters after that plus the tapehead system.Now I wonder what would be the use of a better i/v stage than this one...It's already perfect.

All i can say is that even the 1988 Technics test CD sounds wonderful on the whole system.As a matter of fact the rec head has about 400 ohms while the play head is 275 ohms and the bass is a bit favored by the system, but that doesn't mean that i have no highs...I will change the rec tape head with some other ones with a lower impedance(200 ohms...150 ohms) as i bought some new cassette players as a source for thape heads(aiwa-sanyo)and see the results.

All I can tell for now is that this system has ho background noise and the sound is superb with any cd .Unfortunately i only listened all my toys only on headphones...so i can't swear for it on a proper pair of speakers .

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    974.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 109
Account Closed
Joined 2010
I'm a lazy person...i buy lots of vintage trash and i have lots of spare pcb's and spare parts...I could do very neat designs in Altium , but i find many pcb's that are easy to work on with a simple cutter and a side cutter plier :) and as long as i never know what will be the final design looking like i prefer spider circuits for quick trials.Sometimes these spider circuits stay and work for longer than planned.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Now i got back home and i have again access to my best components, players and tools, i even found two very old cd players, some of the rarest ever seen and i can't wait working on them : Nec CD810 and JVC XL-V300 for which there's no schematic available, but the NEC player, apart from the fact that it is amongst the heaviest player i have ever had(I had the Phillips cd304 and i have the Denon dcd-1560 for the heavyweight record) has the most interesting technical review i've ever read and i can't wait to see what are those filters they use!

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Just for the record, i ended up using the lm6172 as i/v for The Sony player with tda1541 in the pictures above and i think that it will stay like this for a long time.It sounds so well against the lm4562 , i can't describe the feeling.It's simply FAST! As i use a TPA6120 based headphones amplifier with only a 6db first order RC filter in between the i/v and headphones amplifier , all i can say is that , if there are any ultrasound noises because this Sony has no low pass filter...i can't hear them. Most probably , the headphones can't reproduce them and the LM6172 can't be bothered, it will amplify linearly anything you can throw at it, no TID or THD will result because of any "fast edged" signals due to the DAC as many told us. Because it has only one output op-amp, I won't try any bipolar front end i/v stage and anyway i don't feel the need for such thing.For a high current output 16 bit dac, lm6172 is the way, its noise being completely irrelevant.I can only hear the music.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Well ...post 51 is not alive anymore, i have better circuits and anyway i found out that i simply made it too complicated.Even the simulations were based on wrong assumptions.
Bayerdynamic DT880pro...not as good as the Sennheisers, but good enough.I have some other AKG vintage ones but i never used any other headphones since i have these.I don't have a good space for proper speakers...and i can't afford the speakers i really want either.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I don't like mixing things unless is real value in it:
Teardrop headphones amplifier
But of course...as i'm moding my Denon dcd1560 to have the pcm1701 dac supplied the same as in Luxman d103 which was the first "lampized" player , in its stock form, by the manufacturer itself ...i might do it the right way! For the start i just replaced the i/v stage as in Luxman using ada4898-1 and a lm4562 as the output stage after the passive low pass filter.I suspect that i won't need any valve at the output as the digital artwork and transport in Denon is vastly superior to the Luxman.Just because i could use the ADA4898-1 made me a bit confident that i might use different gain and capacitor in the feedback , removing the 270pf capacitor at the dac output.I'm just trying to make it work the right way.Denon had a different vision which was based on upc4570 as i/v stage.

Last edited:
DCD 1560 is nice. I really want a player with numerical direct access to songs. However I also prefer ability to read HDCD Do you know if its easy to move dac part from on cd to another to make it compatible with HDCD? Its just that I have some HDCDs that I like and the sound not so good on noncompatible players

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I'm the last person you could ask about the digital world mix...I just bought a lot of cd's so i needed cd players for them.I got some good cd players and i enjoy the music on cd's ...it's that simple for me...I understand the people who want to have a million songs in a digital form , on a single hard drive or stick, but i rarely listen to good music and, if i don't have a good vinyl to listen to, i can enjoy a cd...The cd's are far less expensive than vinyls today as second hand and ask for less investments and precautions...I have very good turntables and some respectable mm cartridges, but i need a whole setup for a vinyl...and cd's don't necessarily sound worse than the highest resolution digital record, at least not for me!

Hdcd came in the mid 90ies gave 20bit resolution in a cdI think all of them are marked with a blue dot Problem is they sound a little distorted when played thruu a dac thats not compatible. Thats why i would like a player to play them on. Hdcd came at the same time that. They stopped putting numerical pads on players. Just anoys me to have to press skip to start an album in the middle. Sorry for off topic ☺

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
What's really disturbing for me , i think, is the fact that the marketing always kept hidden at higher prices the good combinations of audio components.When they offered a good dac, they used it with the wrong components in more than 99% of the audio components to keep the prices very high on good combinations.
They had good dac's but used low quality transports, they had good transports, they used low quality clocks and buffer memory, they never tried to improve an old and verified technology just to make it cheaper to the masses.Why do we still buy the best audio components of the past for thousands of dollars as well as the last dac's and streamers , when the companies had about 3 decades just to make those technologies cheaper and easier to manufacture, instead of coming again and a gain with new and expensive products advertised as the best ever?

They could have made the best cassette player no bigger than the cassette itself with enhanced digital noise reduction systems so that we'd enjoy noise free cassette tapes...But they always preferred to sell big and expensive items to the 1% and 99% rubbish for the masses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.