Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Best way to mod cheap cd-players-enhancing the noise
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2019, 02:42 PM   #21
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamth View Post
I wouldn't say that because you can't perceive the distortions generated by it as "effecting" the sound.
You are contradicting yourself here.
If what you do isn't effecting the sound, then how is it that you sense a change in sound through your modifications?
No one is going to criticize you because you deliberately alter the sound of your CD player to match your preference.

Quote:
Am I entitled to say that my "effect" is actually very clean compared with the rest of the recording chain?
For to be entitled to say that, you would have first to quantify your “effect”.
Then compare it to the various minimum and maximum effects that can be introduced in a recording chain.
You see the problem you put yourself into by adopting a defense mode?
Again, for the time being, enjoy the music and try not to make any claim about “better” than this or that (unless you enjoy arguing for the sake of argument)
I agree to the rest of your post.

George
Old 9th January 2019, 03:03 PM   #22
dreamth is offline dreamth  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
You are contradicting yourself here.
If what you do isn't effecting the sound, then how is it that you sense a change in sound through your modifications?
No one is going to criticize you because you deliberately alter the sound of your CD player to match your preference.

George
I fully agree with you, but at least i am honest about it

The ideea is that you do perceive that the sound is better, not distorted...as the "distorted" connotation is a bad one...And that is the case with tons of overkill designs, applauded valve amplifiers, exotic mc carts and so on...

Many of those who don't like the cd's never had properly "modified" cd players and you can see countless "non-oversampling" whatever you might name it over the whole internet, but you can't argue with people's subjectivity!

Lampization is made now by guys who have no electronics knowledge at all and their clients consider them the new Gods of electronics! I may be competing for a God role too )
I'll see if i'm lucky!

The price i payed for this is 20 pounds per player + mod and about 2-3 days of trial and error work per player...I can see in the future new audio guru's offering 50 pounds per any damn cassette double deck just for the tape-heads inside and maybe the cd-players will rise in price again like the cassette players! If you have tons of useless cd players and the worst quality cassette players that nobody was paying a penny even in their good days , this might be an occasion to contribute to this topic and sell them for real money

So being a bit less sarcastic, if i say that my mod is the best for the cheap cd players it is because it's the cheapest mod that works to my ears!

Last edited by dreamth; 9th January 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 9th January 2019, 05:19 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Just to understand the sheer proportion of this madness that took over me...I just bought another 15 cd's for 5 pounds(very good to as new condition , not the ones up right, I bought those for two pounds... ) and a Pioneer pd m603, considered to be a worthless piece of technology by many, including me as i have another identical one at home...Unfortunately i won't improve this one , i'll just make it a donor for organs to be used with the cd951...as it needs a bit cleaner sound that it has now. And...a smal surprise as in the Pioneer there were more cd's with Rod Steward and Celine Dion.I payed 10 pounds for the pioneer and the cd's inside are allready woth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5052.jpg (887.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5053.jpg (658.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5056.jpg (797.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5059.jpg (691.4 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by dreamth; 9th January 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 9th January 2019, 05:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Now there's even a tougher question to put: should i destroy the Pioneer to improve the Phillips cd951 or the other way around, to get parts from Phillips to mod the Pioneer as every single review of this Pioneer is negative.I am actually listening to it right now and on my headphones it doesn't sound really bad compared with the stock Phillips! I might sound even more misleading to some as i like many cd players in their stock form too...given that you have a well mastered cd to play, but i am mostly a headphones listener and i don't even have the best of them...
Old 9th January 2019, 07:09 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

wrong posting...

Last edited by dreamth; 9th January 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10th January 2019, 04:44 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Tried to cancel the internal noises of the cd951 from the tape heads by transforming the new Pioneer 603 into a full playback preamplifier attaching also the modified njm4556 headphones amp to it. with no success.With no filter and shielding before the rec tape head it looks like an impossible task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5071.jpg (938.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5078.jpg (885.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5084.jpg (966.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5085.jpg (853.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5088.jpg (812.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 05:34 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

So I turned back to Phillips CD610mk2 and attached its drive output to both tape head sets(including the one built for Phillips CD951) so that i can run and listen to both playback preamps and their headphones amplifiers and

This is IT!
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5094.jpg (795.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5095.jpg (831.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5096.jpg (728.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5097.jpg (746.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5098.jpg (883.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 06:09 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

18 new records...You can't spin your vinyls faster than me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5101.jpg (819.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 11th January 2019, 05:54 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

YouTube
I doubled the gain of the playback amplifier , modified into a complete pioneer ct 777 playback amp with the original components values, sacrificed the CD951 for just 6 resistors and 4 capacitors to decouple the power supplies of each module, modified the whole wiring o that i can have no audible hum at maximum gain and maximum rec head drive.Now it sounds like a professional "effect box"
The noise that you here in the movie is caused by the camera. Be aware that i removed all the muting transistors everywhere in the audio signal path as well as canceled the lm833 based filter stage after the I/V.It might be the time now to look for better op-amps , but i really doubt that any op amp on the market is able to make this thing sound better than it is right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5106.jpg (972.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5115.jpg (701.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5116.jpg (467.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5120.jpg (797.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5126.jpg (661.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 01:45 PM   #30
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

Analog Distortion on a Budget: Tape Saturation Technique | Dubspot

George

Best way to mod cheap cd-players-enhancing the noiseHide this!Advertise here!