CD104 reads TOC but disk keeps spinning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahoy,

As per the title, does anyone know what this might be a symptom of? I have seen mention of this in one other thread but no clear indication of why.

The laser keeps making seeking movements and the disk does not stop spinning once it's found the TOC.

I haven't got anywhere to hook the CD104 up to at the moment so I don't know if it's playing, but the display works, the TOC is found and tracks can be selected and played with the time counter working correctly.

I have previously 'done' the griplets.

Thanks Percival - perhaps it is! I hadn't considered that, as it was my vague memory that it should spin up, read the TOC then stop until told to play. The laser arm is making noises and moving back and forth as though it's trying to read, even though the TOC is read and pressing play causes the track to start.

It does play when asked, but 'stop' puts it back to the mode where '--' appears in the display. In my memory it spins up, reads the TOC then stops with the track number total on the display, but I could be imagining it! Did you check what yours does?

I hooked it up to a spare amp and get music, but it's very low output underneath distortion. Is there a normal fault this could be, or is it time to learn to use my oscilloscope?

I will check mine too tonight, if my memory serves me right this is how it was working, but I need to check as it has been a long time since I listened to it.

For the second fault with low output with distortion, my first check (without a scope) would be to 'bridge' each one of the reed switches at the output (used for muting) and see if the problem remains. If yes, I think it's oscilloscope time.
I would also check if all voltages are present and correct (I have experienced such behaviour in a CD-950 with negative voltage missing)

It does play when asked, but 'stop' puts it back to the mode where '--' appears in the display. In my memory it spins up, reads the TOC then stops with the track number total on the display, but I could be imagining it! Did you check what yours does?

I hooked it up to a spare amp and get music, but it's very low output underneath distortion. Is there a normal fault this could be, or is it time to learn to use my oscilloscope?

Last edited:
Apologies for my late reply.
I have now checked and mine operates in exactly the same way as yours and is correct.

With regards to the low O/P, the poster above who mentions the Reed Relay switch, this is definitely worth checking as these do have a habit of failing.
Also have you resoldered (and put links through from one side to the other of the PCB) the 'Griplets'?

This 100% needs to be done on any 104 as it causes all manner of strange things to ocurr, including problems with O/P.

Cheers,

P.

Thank you both for the suggestions, and no need to apologise Percival007 - you have no obligation to me!

I haven't checked the reed switches yet, as I've just finished dealing with the tape deck on my BeoCentre which suddenly decided to give up the ghost. Luckily just a belt and a bit of glue were required so no complex electronic problems.

The CD104 has been out of action for years as I first started 'doing the griplets' and then education got in the way. I've just got it back out and think I have done them all, hence trying the output and whether it was running. If the reed switches are not the problem, I'll check the griplets first, then will no doubt need to be back here for oscilloscope assistance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.