Marantz CD67 laser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Picked up said player this week for £45 . On arrival it wouldn't read discs. quick Google and saw a YouTube video of a Russian guy who demonstrated the laser problem.
He pressed down on the cd whilst pressing play...to get the disc surface closer to the lens. Hey presto it starts to spin and read. He goes on to say this can be also sorted by adding a 47k r over a particular r on the board. I assume to boost the laser current.

I got mine reading with the physical intervention on the disc and has seemed to have settled down now and plays most discs. It is early days mind.

Would you guys be adding the resistor.? My player has the original Phillips transport.
Or should I get an aftermarket new transport.?

Player will be getting improved over time.

Do not increase the laser current, if you do, the laser will die very quickly.
Think about it ... press on disc ... laser is closer to disc ... disc can be read. The resistor in question is probably increasing the focus gain.
Without knowing which bodge he did, I couldn't tell you.
Marantz/Philips assemblies are now from £11.70 including postage depending on model.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for that. I assumed the resistor was a good way to finish off the laser.

Do you stock the transports? Not clicked your website yet

Edit......just gone to do a laser clean and it is a vam1202/12 transport. The other phillips sticker must be on a portion that doesn't get swapped I assume....so it has had a replacement already.

Last edited:
The CD67 is a slightly upgraded version of the CD63 with added features like external control to other Marantz equipment and a 4 level brightness control for the front panel.

I have the CD63SE which is the premier 63. Better guts inside and better sounding. I doubt that pressing on the outside of the case has done a thing. The transport doesn't move with external pressure as its a stand alone unit that is secured to the chassis by I believe four screws and has 3 or 4 ribbon cables. Your not moving the disk any closer to the laser assembly by pressing on the case. If you were to actually change the height of the disk platter then you would be able to make a slight difference. I've worked on a number of 63's and 67's along with the whole Marantz line. Both of my CD players are Marantz 63's one a 63SE and the one in the garage a standard 63. Both from the dumpster where I used to work.

I would suspect the caps in the power supplies need attention. This is what I did to both to bring them back to life. They both had intermittent play problems as a result of voltage problems associated with the power supplies. I changed the caps and the play went from intermittent to rock solid.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Sorry you misunderstand. I took the case off and pressed on the disc. It worked in as much as proving there is a laser focus issue.

But like I say it seems to be alright at the moment but a cap replace is likely.

Which ones would be better to go first given my players hiccups?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.