AK4497 won't be Flagship anymore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no choice than to order more pcbs than I need (since the minimum number is usually 5) so there will be spare pcbs to go around.

But the difficulty level of the build will be high.. I'm planning to also include an XMOS USB receiver as well as an s/pdif receiver on the same board, plus a uC for control.

But first I'll do the (dual) 4497 board.

It will most likely take several months for the 4499 to become available anyway.

I have no choice than to order more pcbs than I need (since the minimum number is usually 5) so there will be spare pcbs to go around.

But the difficulty level of the build will be high.. I'm planning to also include an XMOS USB receiver as well as an s/pdif receiver on the same board, plus a uC for control.

But first I'll do the (dual) 4497 board.

It will most likely take several months for the 4499 to become available anyway.

It would be cool to have a second i2s option to attach a beaglebone botic or ian's fifo directly to the dac....unfortuantely your mailbox is full, so please accept my application for your 4497 board here...

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ... well, the website according to the Danish representative's email should be atxx.de (they also cover Denmark). This website, however, seems to be replaced by:

Unternehmensverbund fur Halbleiter und Netzwerkkomponenten: Atlantik Networxx AG

It doesn't appear to be a web-shop-like-site but the last time I spoke with the representative he could sell me two DACs - and also mentioned that the AK4499 had been officially released for sale ... :tilt:

Cheers,

Jesper

Price is the bottom line though isn't it :D

All of AKs DACs are very reasonably priced except for the AK4497 which sees a significant price jump vs all of their others. Hopefully the 4499 won't be vastly more expensive. Or maybe the 97 will lower in price and the 99 take it's spot. Who knows. The only thing we can say for sure is that they'll want to both outperform ESS on price and performance to ensure market dominance for the go to choice across the board.

67€ sounds about what I would expect.. About 15-20% more than what the 4497 currently costs.

I don't think they'll be pulling the 4497 from their portfolio for several years. It's a relatively new part and the 4499 is not the 4497's upgrade path. It's a completely new category of chip for AKM.

It's true that the cost of the actual DAC chips is usually inconsequential compared to the total cost of a complete DAC. But still, if one were to design a full blown design with the 4499 he would need 4 of them (in order to get balanced output at the best possible SNR & THD). That's close to 300€ only in dac chips.

Jesper, I'll keep your local distributor in mind for when I get to the 4499 build.. If I bought chips right now they'd just waste space in some shelf in my lab for at least 6 months. The 4497s that I have have been doing just that for over a year now.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Jesper, I'll keep your local distributor in mind for when I get to the 4499 build.. If I bought chips right now they'd just waste space in some shelf in my lab for at least 6 months. The 4497s that I have have been doing just that for over a year now.

Well, feel welcome to do so of course. And should you need some kind of "connectivity" between you and the distributor be welcome to let me know.

It's a completely new category of chip for AKM.
... that is my impression as well ... May be interesting to see how it catches on ....

Cheers,

Jesper

I'm afraid that we'll have a rerun of the Sabre i/v episodes.. The datasheet recommends the use of op-amps but many inmates (myself included) will feel the need to go the discrete way.. At least the datasheet is clear that we'll need to do i/v separately for each channel and then sum the signals. That eases the current requirements on the i/v. But it increases parts count considerably for the discrete stage fans.

Hi Jesper,
These DACs (Sabre same) are really masses of parallel high value resistors switching between Vcc and Gnd via internal logic gates. So in the AKM's case that 64 ohms is the sum parallel value of all the resistors.
I'm assuming you mean the resistors form a divider between Vcc and Gnd and 64 ohms is the parallel value between Vcc and Gnd to the mid point?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.