Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

An Idea for saving Laser Life - amplifying the current?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2018, 03:04 PM   #71
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

How? No hints in the service manuals... I assume I have to measure over
R3 /22Ω and calculate current from voltage...
Old 18th November 2018, 05:24 PM   #72
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That's the way its done. The service manual probably doesn't mention anything on laser power, or if it does it will be to use an optical power meter. The serial number should read something like 754128495 where 495 would be the current, 49.5 milliamps in this case.
Old 20th November 2018, 12:53 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

So I did double the feedback resistorīs values. Everything works/plays fine but
the eyepattern becomes more noisy. So I think raising values about 1.5 is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5030.jpg (395.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5028.jpg (414.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 20th November 2018, 02:01 PM   #74
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Noise is the big problem I've kept mentioning all along. All players will be different in the way they cope with noise and depending how bad it is you could find the error correction working harder and/or jitter increasing. How the player ultimately copes with that is down to each specific design and chipset.
Old 20th November 2018, 02:47 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

I know. This is why I was testing. But no glitches during playback and quick jumps from track to track as always. Maybe someone else owning a BU-1C could measure jitter and error correction. I think the CX2034 / CX2035 have a pin that goes high when an error correction is triggered. I will only put in 10k precision trimmers for the laser power, as the original ones seem to be rather coarse.
Old 2nd June 2019, 05:17 PM   #76
rockeater is offline rockeater  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
How? No hints in the service manuals... I assume I have to measure over
R3 /22Ω and calculate current from voltage...
The manual for the Esoteric P-700 transport (page 6) does talk about it in detail.
Trouble is, that the resistor is not really accessible and you have to take the bottom cover off, solder some wires across the R22 and then measure the current while CD is playing.
Old 14th June 2019, 12:20 AM   #77
Trident is offline Trident  Spain
diyAudio Member

I did not conplicatria the matter. The important thing at the end is the sound, everything is focused on that purpose, the important thing is the DAC, either on CD or external, there will always be a CD and a means of obtaining the input signal to the DAC.

Sometimes we cling to the "iron" and lose sight of the objective "the sound"

In 50 years most of the laser diodes of CD players will be "Kaput" What is the future of the players? In my opinion, none ... what matters is the process of the signal, with indenpendence of the source. Nothing else.

And in 150 years when the stock of vacuum tubes runs out? What will be the future of sound?

..... ????

My ears will be the same, technology will not. sure.

I have stored laser pick-up for my player for the next 100 years (with a replacement every 20 years), I do not worry with 52 years to live another 100 years more. I am worried about the silence after death, because who can live without music?

Last edited by Trident; 14th June 2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 14th June 2019, 01:03 AM   #78
Trident is offline Trident  Spain
diyAudio Member

ave empty valves for 10 reincarnations, but is that important ?: NOOOOOO

The important thing is the sound, no matter the source.

An Idea for saving Laser Life - amplifying the current?Hide this!Advertise here!