Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Moderately priced CD transport?
Moderately priced CD transport?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Decker is offline Decker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Moderately priced CD transport?

Hi everybody. I am currently using a Marantz 5400 CD player as a transport feeding a Schiit Bifrost DAC in my system. I would like to set up another system in another room as part of a home theater. Is there a CD player or CD transport for around $300 or less that would be an improvement on the Marantz as a transport? Or are they all roughly the same in that price range and I should just get another CD player for the new system? I already have a separate DVD player. I have searched this forum but didn't see much advice about lower priced models.
Old 29th October 2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Malefoda is online now Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
I advise you an old Technics CD players. They were sold by thousands. The ones with CDM4/19. They are all the same main PCB, even a lower range (SL-PG200A) I got for 5€ and without the digital out which you need. Guess what, on the PCB all was there, so I added a cap, 2 resistors and a BNC. And voilą, a transport. Track fast, reliable. BTW prior to sell to a friend I've recapped all, Pana FM/FC and polymer for digital, few enough caps to do it. Was ok for him but for me and -maybe you- a real clock is mandatory.

Don't know if I can put links here and you maybe already have them:
To check the Technics with CDM4/19:
CD-Player-DAC-Transport List
To check the service manual and the S/PDIF out of the filter IC:
Service Manual finder | Elektrotanya
For a clock kit I advise no compromise:
Ray's Audio Page
and:
TentlabsShop

After that, if it's not expensive enough for you modify a TEAC VRDS CD player, one with a CMK-3.2, a clock again (really needed!). Or a Tascam CD-401 MkII (Mk I's tray scratches CDs...). In Europe they are now too expensive. If I need a new transport I'll go for the cheap Technics, and I'm looking before it's too late for another 5€ one I do like the fast tracking system on this one:
Technics SL-PG520A
IC301 is waiting for you to steal the S/PDIF

Last edited by Malefoda; 29th October 2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 29th October 2018, 03:18 PM   #3
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Moderately priced CD transport?
B&O Beogram 7000, if you're going to mod it you may as well mod a good mech.

Moderately priced CD transport?Hide this!Advertise here!