Playing Super Audio CD and DSD format file on Sony BDP-S7200 Blu Ray player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to the user manual, the Sony BDP-S7200 player can playback Super Audio CD and DSD format file, but seems to output DSD audio to HDMI only. The Sony player has coaxial digital and HDMI output.

My ES9028Q2M based DAC has optical, coaxial and USB input, but no HDMI audio. Only the USB input supports DSD. Are there a HDMI audio extractor that supports DSD? What options do I have if I do not want to buy a dedicated SACD player?

Is it possible to output Super Audio CD and DSD format file through coaxial PCM audio? When I insert a SACD, the Sony player recognizes it and starts playing, but I get no audio output from the coaxial to DAC connection.

Last edited:
Extracting DSD from HDMI is cheap if you live in China.
hdmi?I2S?????dsd??-???
HDMI??????????I2S/DSD/SPDIF??-???

But I don't know if the second does DSD over SPDIF, so i don't know if it would work with your DAC.

Generally, I think all players won't output DSD over spdif - IIRC it's a copyright thing. Perhaps someone will confirm? An enterprising man in Germany made a kit to solve this for Pioneer DV SACD player but no such kits exist for Sony afaik. HDMI out, I2S in, as above, is the only way I think. Maybe DoP is possible from a device so you can use spdif but I haven't seen any - this is what you need though: hdmi in , DoP (spdif) out. What is DoP (DSD over PCM)? | dCS

So, better buy an I2S in DAC? Or hack your current DAC?

Last edited:
HDMI to I2S adaptor board

Extracting DSD from HDMI is cheap if you live in China.
hdmi?I2S?????dsd??-???
HDMI??????????I2S/DSD/SPDIF??-???

So, better buy an I2S in DAC? Or hack your current DAC?
Thank you for writing. The ES9038Q2M DAC has I2S input built-in which is often used with a USB daughter card.

I don't need to be in China, there are many HDMI to I2S converter card available to US DIYer. I will need one with HDMI in and out like this one:
HDMI/MHL dual mode separation audio I2S/ fiber / coax (HDMI to I2S/IIS)-in Tool Parts from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The Sony BDP-S7200 has only one HDMI output.

The HDMI to I2S card can be easily added to my DAC electrically speaking. But the sellers of the HDMI to I2S card on AliExpress do not provide any technical detail and I have not seen any hands on experience using those card on this forum.

The ES9038Q2M DAC is an excellent unit with very low noise floor. Will any of the HDMI to I2S card match its S/N+D performance?

ESS dacs are more immune to bad sources than many others - only the BCLK is, apparently, jitter sensitive.

some folks are worried about noise contamination from source to DAC but that's usually cos they're using a USB to I2S source. I reckon a CDP will have far less noise - it doesn't have billions of transistors rapidly switching on/off at GHz with large current flows from an SMPS psu. Anyway, if noise contamination is a concern you can also use an isolator on the I2S lines - ISO7640M iirc (?). But these add jitter so it's a rob peter to pay paul thing and probably not needed for a CDP anyway. For both peter and paul to get paid, a reclock using flip flops after the isolator is possible, but that has to be done very well cos it's high speed data, not analogue audio.

Why not just buy that board and try? at $30, it isn't a killer loss if it doesn't work.

And if it doesn't then you might just try feeding it I2S? from this HDMI to IIS I2S DSD Transmitter Output Board I2S OVER HDMI-in Contactors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Is your DAC running sync with its source or is it using its own mclk - typically from a 100Mhz xo?

If it's the latter, it's easy peasy to feed it I2S - it only needs three of the 4 I2S lines - no mclk connection. The connections should be as short as possible and have ground returns for each line tightly twisted together in ground-signal pairs. cat cable works well for this. check for smd resistors on both devices. If there are none, add between 22R and 100R in series with each signal line at the source, not at termination, and not in the middle. use smd resistors not through hole if you can. and that's it. switch on and see if it works. check the settings in the CDP too - I dunno yours so make sure it is outputting DSD over hdmi if you can.

if the DAC is sync with its source, then you need the MCLK signal and you are likely to experience issues with the DAC not getting signal lock. that can be a pain.

Something to google for - see if anyone has simply cut their hdmi cable and just fed the + I2S lines into an ESS DAC.

Last edited:
Add HDMI input to ES9038Q2M DAC

These are the DAC that I want to add the HDMI input to:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/314935-es9038q2m-board-223.html#post5509898
IMG_4747.jpg

The biggest problem to add the HDMI to I2S board is the case modification. Cutting the rectangular openings is not easy with only hand tools.

One of the ES9038Q2M DAC has the clone Amanero USB. The board has its own MCLK so it so be easy to feed it I2S from the HDMI board.

Thank you for all the insight and suggestions. I may just try the $30 board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.