Toslink to SPDIF (Coaxial)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Toslink is just the connector, it too carries SPDIF.
What you are wanting, I think is Optical to Electrical converter.

The attached works. R1 may or may not be needed.

P.

Yes I just wanted the whole process explained!
Like have a Toslink connector but I want Coaxial... And I cannot use the output directly from the Toslink pins! Have to be a converter...

The PDF diagram does not have a coaxial out... any suggestions!

I found some info on this page S/PDIF Digital to Analogue Converter but I wanted a 2nd opinion! Maybe a buffer-less solution!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
A converter is the worst of solutions. Opening the device and adapt it straight to BNC 75 Ohm SPDIF output is the best choice. I do this regularly and SPDIF (although still being a bag of hurt) performs better over BNC than over Toslink. Only drawback for many is the need to drill a hole in the back of the device which it in fact quite simple. Some talk gibberish about "lower resale value" but better performance is why we are here for isn't it?

Posting the pdf really would help.

Last edited:
A converter is the worst of solutions. Opening the device and adapt it straight to BNC 75 Ohm SPDIF output is the best choice. I do this regularly and SPDIF (although still being a bag of hurt) performs better over BNC than over Toslink. Only drawback for many is the need to drill a hole in the back of the device which it in fact quite simple. Some talk gibberish about "lower resale value" but better performance is why we are here for isn't it?

Posting the pdf really would help.

No I am trying to use PC in my car... my processor only accepts coaxial, but my soundcard (Asus dx) only has optical out...

Or should i buy a USB to coaxial like: 1Pcs PCM2704 USB DAC to S/PDIF Decoder Board Module Analog Output -in Replacement Parts & Accessories from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Or should I buy: HIFI USB Sound Card DAC Audio USB To SPDIF PCM2704 Digital Analog SPDIF Output Audio Converter DAC Decoder PRO Converter-in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I like the first one cause it has optical and coaxial both... 2nd board has buffer, better crystal and output isolation (transformer)

Also what is the advantage of using active crystal over a simple 2 legged crystal?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.