Installing new laser on Sony cdp-x3000es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, found this forum when looking up on how to change the laser on my cd player.
I recently acquired it as it fits well with my other equipment but noticed that it skips quite badly. From sometimes jumping back a second on early tracks to looping 10-15 seconds on later tracks. I've ordered a replacement laser assembly but feel a bit insecure about how to proceed with it as I've never switched an assembly before. I've read both that it's a drop-in replacement with no need for calibration and that calibration is needed.
Anyone have any tips for me before I disassemble the unit? I do have the service manual.

EDIT: I'm also wondering if it's the right assumption that it's the laser thats failing? When a track loops and it's the disk that moves over the laser, could it rahter be a faulty motor instead?

Last edited:
You can find the service manual @ Elektrotanya | This site helps you to save the Earth from electronic waste!
After search wait until "get manual" appears, easy to miss.
As you seem to be a newbie, the usual tipps:
Expect the laser to be the last part to fail, though
it is very likely that the laser did gather some
dust underneath the lens as the x3000 is a top loader.
The guy from Lampizator had some cleaning tipp
for older laser assemblies, they might give a hint.
Check solder joints, lubrication, power supply, contacts
before dealing with the laser.
The spare kss-213 might be inferior to the
original kss - so handle with care (ESD) the solder
blob mentioned, while swapping
you might find you' ll still need the original.
Check also Sam Goldwassers Repair FAQ about
faulty CD-Players.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.