DAC + headphone amplifier based on Marantz DR4050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have CDR recorder Marantz DR4050 where CDR section is not working due to OPU 24.25 laser failure. CD section is working fine and can be heard in headphone output.
Instead of fixing the laser I am thinking about using that recorder as DAC and headphone amplifier. It has optical, digital and analog inputs to be chosen by a button so I thought that when plugging in a digital sound source it could be heard in headphones. Unfortunately, there is no sound but only displayed message "insert a disc".
I wonder if it could be possible to bypass CDR section or simulate it's working in order to hear source sound in headphones.

Yes, I have, please see a block schematics attached

Attachments

• DR4050_block.PNG
    DR4050_block.PNG
    163.3 KB · Views: 217
Looked at the manual for the CDL4009 and the datasheet for the SAA7392. Looks like the command you would need to change is buried in the I2C comms between the chips. Maybe a small voltage on the HIN pin would be enough to fool the CDR60 chip but I don't know enough about the CDR section to say for certain. It might be possible to do something with the DSA commands but that is not easy either. Easiest thing would be to replace the faulty part.

Thanks for a hint !. I went through whole service manual and it's strange but except that block diagram in post #3 there's no schematics of CDR main board with SAA7392 shown. But assuming I locate that IC - how to put voltage on the HIN pin ? Take a wire (from PSU)and connect positive 12V or negative 8V through a resistor ? How big?

Fine, but now we should solve how to switch on CD while CDR is working. They can work together only when copying from CD but to do that CDR has to work properly, which it didn't.

I still think why it is not possible to make MCF5244 ( DASP) working independently.

Another idea is to treat external signal coming to DASP as HF signal and connect e.g EXT-OPT_IN with HFIN.

Attachments

• Signals.PNG
    Signals.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 107
Yes... we came to the point we have started from.
I am not the only guy willing to use Marantz DRXXXX recorder as DAC because demand for copying CDs is decreasing. So people are using it as DAC putting a blank CDR, pressing a record buton and letting laser to be on by several hours. This sooner or later damages the OPU and I think that OPU in my recorder was worn out due to the same reason.
OPU in e-bay is ca € 50 but looking on service manual you have to adjust the current which is not simple.
The only solution is to be able to make the DASP = MCF5244 working independently.
I was looking for a schematics of that IC but with no success.

Unless someone reading this topic will have a solution for the DASP we should stop.

I wanted to use at least Marantz's headphone amplifier as it is playing very well. I have noticed that CD's analog out goes to headphone amplifier IC 7408 = NJM4556D via switch IC7407 = 74HC4053D. So I have connected CDR analog in directly to CDR's CD analog in. When switched power, there's no music heard. You have to initialize it by playing a disk in CD ( maybe it switches IC7407). Then you may take the disk out as the sound from external source connected to CDR analog in is being heard. But..... it's too silent opposite to a sound from CD which I may call "too loud". Don't know why. The sound from CD goes first through ap amp IC7120 = LM833D or TDA1308T ( difference between component list and schematics). But sound from CDR desn't go through LM833D ( IC 7409) in order to go to IC 7408 ( but maybe there's mistake on the drawing) Do you think I should connect CDR analog in directly with pin 3 and 5 of IC 7120 on CD board ?

Attachments

• CD ampl.PNG
    CD ampl.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.