SPDIF to Optical (ST) conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to build a (high qualiity) SPDIF to optical (ST connector) conversion board for a CD Drive.

Of course, it could also be TTL --> Optical ST conversion, because I can take the signal at the TTL level instead of picking it after the SPDIF output.

I am looking for a high quality Optical conversion, not a crappy one... The ST standard is obviously preferred to the Toslink one (my DAC is ST only).

I have found several schematics for Toslink --> SPDIF, but I cannot find a good one for SPDIF --> ST (or maybe to TOSLINK because it can probably be adapted to ST).

Do you know if such a conversion has already be done ?

Thank you !

Interesting topic !!

I try to build something a little bit different, let me explain:

All I need is an optical output using the ST format: not the Toslink format. (I do not need at all the RCA/BNC output).

But my poor knowledge in the optical output subject makes me unable to adapt your schematic for a ST output instead of Toslink output !! i will be able to build it, but unable to adapt it....

Can you give me some information on how to replace the Toslink emitter by a ST emitter (and maybe any other change to achieve this replacement) ?

Thank ou very much,

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've zero practical experience of the ST format I'm afraid but I was thinking you could have made something similar to my project by using perhaps an ST coupler or chassis mounted coupler/socket and mounting a suitable LED within it.

If you have the TTL output available then you wouldn't need the electronics, just the LED and associated components.

Have a look here. I have used this appl. note with success. ST is just the physical connector, not a special format. The only thing you have to be aware of is the wavelength of your receiver in the dac. It has to match the transmitters wavelength (it´s usually 700-800 nm)
http://www.efo.ru/components/avago/catalog/files/pdf/AV02-0176EN.pdf

Attachments

• Fiber optics.app_note78.pdf
    548.2 KB · Views: 121
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.