Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

SDTrans384 mod discussion thread
SDTrans384 mod discussion thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2018, 01:34 AM   #1
insatiable is offline insatiable
diyAudio Member

Default SDTrans384 mod discussion thread

Hello

The SDtrans384 player has been one of the best sounding digital player I have owned so far.
I have spent over 6 months on it and just completed the mod with better chassis and with all discrete linear power supplies.
Totally 9 sets of PSU supplying the SD card, FPGA chips, clocks and display + remote module
Onboard filter caps changed to Blackgate NX

SDTrans384 mod discussion thread-img_6920-jpg

SDTrans384 mod discussion thread-img_7071s-jpg

Question: is there anybody successfully changed the clocks with better ones? I mean with auto select of clock signal according to the bit rate of the music files...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6920.jpg (986.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7071s.jpg (902.5 KB, 226 views)
Old 16th August 2018, 12:13 PM   #2
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

I appreciate your awesome approach very much! Chiaki and I are very proud to have such an enthusiastic user of SDTrans384.

In Japan, there is two users those who tried upgrade of Clocks. Both connected external clocks, Pulsar OCXO as well as NDK DuCULoN OCXO. I’m not sure Pulsar is still available in a market. Pulsar will provide better SQ and DuCULoN will do far better. However, your selection may depend on your DIY policy and budget plan.

Apart from a clock upgrade, I’d like to recommend also a decoupling capacitor addition to DC power lines. In the next post, I will report my trials.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:41 PM   #3
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Wow very nice mega work involved. I too have done a fair bit of mods to mine but I've
taken a slightly different approach. Yes I'm running independent discrete regulators too.
On SdTrans just using stock caps with Sun copper bypass caps. What I found affects sound most is at the psu of the discrete regs, real surprise here. For me I've tweaked the SdTrans to work in sync with my AyA DS dac cause I'm running I2S connection. AyA too has been highly tweaked. Still in bare bones plywood mount but looking for a nice box to install.

Congrats
Old 16th August 2018, 12:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Btw the SdTrans is really really good but one will not hear it's full potential until you use the dedicated output & not use the spidf at all.

Cheers
Old 16th August 2018, 04:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I appreciate your awesome approach very much! Chiaki and I are very proud to have such an enthusiastic user of SDTrans384.

In Japan, there is two users those who tried upgrade of Clocks. Both connected external clocks, Pulsar OCXO as well as NDK DuCULoN OCXO. Im not sure Pulsar is still available in a market. Pulsar will provide better SQ and DuCULoN will do far better. However, your selection may depend on your DIY policy and budget plan.

Apart from a clock upgrade, Id like to recommend also a decoupling capacitor addition to DC power lines. In the next post, I will report my trials.
Hi Bunpei,

So glad to hear your feedback!
I can get the pulsar...from their official website...but I have no clue how to get the DuCULoN

But anyway the biggest technical difficulty is to let SDtrans to auto select which clock crystal to use, if the OCXO has no EN/SB pin...
Old 16th August 2018, 04:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Btw the SdTrans is really really good but one will not hear it's full potential until you use the dedicated output & not use the spidf at all.

Cheers
I myself is using the i2s output of SDtrans384 all the way...directly coupled to DAC chip

I mod the output digital transfo is for the cases that I bring the machine to my fd's place demonstration when they have no i2s input dac

Last edited by insatiable; 16th August 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 16th August 2018, 04:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice so are you into TDA dac as well ?
Old 16th August 2018, 11:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Nice so are you into TDA dac as well ?
Yes
I will create a thread for my dac later
Old 17th August 2018, 04:53 AM   #9
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable View Post
But anyway the biggest technical difficulty is to let SDtrans to auto select which clock crystal to use, if the OCXO has no EN/SB pin...
Pulsar OCXO has an enable/disable pin. You can use it.
NDK DuCULoN bipolar output type has no corresponding function. In my case, a socket is employed for DuCULoN and two DuCULoN units are manually changed.
Adopting a mechanical relay might be one alternative good way.

http://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/p...-g6k_2f_rf.pdf
Old 17th August 2018, 05:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Pulsar OCXO has an enable/disable pin. You can use it.
Checking from the pulsar ocxo datasheet, i still cannot figure out how to enable/disable the ocxo by its pins

Please shed some light ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 88AF252A-AAB2-414C-8E83-918FFE147002.jpeg (178.1 KB, 136 views)

SDTrans384 mod discussion threadHide this!Advertise here!