Is this a real TDA1541A?

Who knows-...

How a TDA1542 sounds?
I guess, I'll be one of the firsts here in diyaudio.com...

P.S.: of course I know what it is, it was used in the early portable Philips CD players...

Attachments

• TDA1542.jpg
    TDA1542.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 267
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Philips abandoned it quite quickly. Taste is a personal matter but I didn't think it was special with regards to sound quality. It is special today as one rarely sees one :)

Are you serious about the NE5532/NE5534? Original Signetics versions of the NE5534 were/are great opamps.

Last edited:
I meant humble more as "ordinary" - Did you ever listened to a TDA1542? I mean, the only CD-player i did find that used it was the CD207. Well, I'll see, as all the needed parts can easily be salvaged from the other old Philips CDs. I guess it was abandoned because it was way to expensive to manufacture - given that even most of the high-grade Philips CD players used LM833s... And not their own Signetics NE5532s

I meant humble more as "ordinary" - Did you ever listened to a TDA1542? I mean, the only CD-player i did find that used it was the CD207. Well, I'll see, as all the needed parts can easily be salvaged from the other old Philips CDs. I guess it was abandoned because it was way to expensive to manufacture - given that even most of the high-grade Philips CD players used LM833s... And not their own Signetics NE5532s

At that time, the jump in quality from record / FM Stereo radio to CD was so huge that the quality of the op amps doesn't matter. The people were more than satisfied.

Last edited:
Btw, all my shown TDA1541As are real, all harvested from old CD Players. Some have been covered with polyimid tape to preserve the printing. I have a fetish to clean all my boards thoroughly with IPA once in a while. Long ago, I did that with nitro thinner, the poor victim is shown on the lower left.