Smyth Realizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard the out of your head software degrades the sound.
What does the Smyth Realiser do that you cannot get elsewhere?

It creates the specific illusion (quite well BTW) that was intended. There are no claims one way or the other about anything else. It requires a training calibration process and the active head location device, without this feedback there is nothing else that can be compared to it.

Wait so, the Smyth Realiser attempts to replicate the performance characteristics of the room and the speakers it is calibrated to?
That seems like one step forward one step back to me. A speaker will rarely if ever match the performance of a top quality headphone driver next to your ear.
Is there anything like the Smyth Realiser that only emulates room acoustics and not the performance and sound characteristics of the speakers too?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not that I've heard of. The Smyth has to have the speakers for the in ear measurement. The speaker and room are what is imitated. One could imagine a system that used non-speaker impulses - such as an electric spark, or a gunshot as the stimulus. But I've never read about such a system.

I've been trying to build one; so far no luck but I keep trying.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
An impulse like a spark or a gunshot is supposed to contain all frequencies equally. I'm not sure that they really do, but that could be measured and characterized. Both are used in acoustic measurements, but I don't know the details of the implementation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.