Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Philips (Marantz) CD-60 not spinning up
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2018, 12:31 AM   #91
hollowman is offline hollowman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Conspiracy theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadbelly View Post
I still can't believe you ate up all this bandwidth and time of the generous experts here and never mentioned you had DIY perf board circuit mods, hanging by their wires, that took a ride through the fall.
Hey, bellz... I'll let you reply to that:
"Conspiracy theory" ... yeah, that's it. You betcha, toots.
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:54 AM   #92
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I still can't believe you ate up all this bandwidth and time of the generous experts here and never mentioned you had DIY perf board circuit mods, hanging by their wires, that took a ride through the fall.
Have to agree. We were short-changed on information that was relevant.
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:59 AM   #93
percival007 is offline percival007  England
diyAudio Member

Did you post this pic on this thread? Have quickly scanned all 8-9 pages and don't think you did.

Might have helped us if you had.

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (222.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:52 AM   #94
bram jacobse is online now bram jacobse  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Old 22nd June 2018, 04:34 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post
Did you post this pic on this thread? Have quickly scanned all 8-9 pages and don't think you did.

Might have helped us if you had.

P.
Those modules were unrelated to the spinning issue. Introducing them into the conversation would've complicated things: introduced wild, pointless tangents. Not that you folks didn't come up with many.
Nota Bene: the guy at the eevblog nailed the noise issue BEFORE that image was posted. See the eevblog thread

IAC, the CD60 experienced multiple issues after it fell. The main one being the subject of this thread.

I think DIYA is project forum, not a troubleshooting forum. So my bad in pursuing the matter here.
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:14 PM   #96
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
I think DIYA is project forum, not a troubleshooting forum. So my bad in pursuing the matter here.
You are slagging this place after what you just did to these guys? I still can't quite believe it. I think you might just have won some award on this forum.
Old 22nd June 2018, 06:55 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You are slagging this place after what you just did to these guys? I still can't quite believe it. I think you might just have won some award on this forum.
Don't think he's slagging off the Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman View Post
Those modules were unrelated to the spinning issue. Introducing them into the conversation would've complicated things: introduced wild, pointless tangents. Not that you folks didn't come up with many.
Nota Bene: the guy at the eevblog nailed the noise issue BEFORE that image was posted. See the eevblog thread

IAC, the CD60 experienced multiple issues after it fell. The main one being the subject of this thread.

Still, would've been nice to have ALL the information at the beginning of the thread. And I did keep asking for a recording !! ;-)

P.
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:05 PM   #98
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi hollowman,
Given information and time, the folks do a pretty credible job of troubleshooting here. But some of us get pretty busy and have limited time to devote to a problem that comes with a minimum of information.

The fault you had would have been easier to fix had it been on my bench rather than an internet conversation. Here you are talking to a bunch of technicians and engineers who designed with the parts you are using. But without pictures and a complete description, how can you expect them to put in a bunch of time for you?

In the end, I actually did point you in the right direction and also told you I would have to see it to do any more than guess. That was your cue to cough up some detail. You didn't. Instead you found more information both on this web site and others - to your credit. But instead of letting us know what you found it became game time.

Most folks are gainfully employed and have to assign their time intelligently. Fixing someone's problem with scant details won't rate very high on anyone's list as the chance of a correct diagnosis is only slight.

Thank the folks who are helpful and try to maintain a realistic picture of what you are asking of others.

-Chris
Old 7th July 2018, 05:03 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Default An update ... and a puzzling anomaly

No repair job is worth its salt w/o some account of the device's long-term reliability.
Over the past few weeks, I've put over 12 hours of use on the CD-60.
All in all: no issues .... as if the accident never happened ...

...except for one anomaly.
Recall the last problem to troubleshot was low-level noise issue. It was related to DEM reclock circuit attached to the TDA1541A's pins 16/17. This was typical DIY project, that has been discussed in various threads, such as this.

That DEM ckt project replaced the stock 470pF cap. I had the Henk variety installed pre-accident. The project ckt is what caused the noise; installing the orig. cap solved the problem.

Here's a mystery:
That Henk DEM 'scopes out fine.
Not only that, I can no longer get other DEM ckts (like tubee) to work with CD-60.
Before accident, both Henk and tubee worked with the CD-60 (and led to improved sonics compared to orig. cap, as intended).
If you look at the Henk and tubee ckts, you'll note they are quite different designs (e.g., Henk requires +6, -6, +5v; tubee requires only +5v).

Like the weird laser power mis-calibration -- caused by accident -- the DEM mystery is spooky!

Last edited by hollowman; 7th July 2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 7th July 2018, 06:00 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Default ;-)

Have you asked on your other Forum?

Philips (Marantz) CD-60 not spinning upHide this!Advertise here!