Custom built case for Raspberry Pi music streamer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like so many people around here I routinely sit down with the sole purpose of listening to music. I don't always want to go through an entire album, opting instead for selecting my favorite tunes from different CDs. To be able to play songs without interruption, for many years I used two CD players so I could queue the next song while listening to the current selection.
About 12 years ago, when SlimDevices launched the Squeezebox, I realized that it could be a great way of enjoying music the way I like it, without having to handle the CDs. I converted an old workstation into a dedicated music server and started ripping and storing my entire collection. For me that was the perfect solution.
When I wanted to created a second setup in another area of my house I found out that the Squeezebox had been discontinued. Searching for a solution I learned about the Raspberry Pi and compatible sound cards. I opted for the Wolfson Audio card sold by Element14. It took a bit of effort to make it work the way I wanted, and I eventually replaced the Squeezebox with another Raspberry Pi + Wolfson Audio card setup. The one thing that was still bothering me was the fact that the RPI in a plastic box is so light that the weight of the network and SPDIF cables kept knocking the unit down from the shelf. I created my own custom solution and wanted to share it.

I cut panels to make a case from leftover material used in amplifiers

attachment.php

I assembled the base plate and installed the Raspberry Pi, SMPS, rubber feet and aluminum profiles to hold the side pieces. Even though I mentioned the Wolfson Audio card above, this unit has a Raspberry Pi 3B with a DigiPi+ sound card installed.

attachment.php

The side pieces installed and the back panel ready for mounting

attachment.php

The back panel in place

attachment.php

The unit is ready to receive the faceplate

attachment.php

The unit fully assembled and connected

attachment.php

The fully assembled unit viewed from another angle

attachment.php

The cover in place

attachment.php

Attachments

• Case_pieces_ready.jpg
    Case_pieces_ready.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 1,570
  • Base_plate_assembled.jpg
    Base_plate_assembled.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Side_plates_installed.jpg
    Side_plates_installed.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 1,757
  • Back_panel_installed.jpg
    Back_panel_installed.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Ready_for_faceplate.jpg
    Ready_for_faceplate.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 1,508
  • Front_view.jpg
    Front_view.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Rear_view.jpg
    Rear_view.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Case_with_cover.jpg
    Case_with_cover.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 1,530
Thank you guys! I am glad you enjoyed it.
I cut the aluminum on the table saw using a Freud blade for non-ferrous metal. The "L" shape profiles were also cut on the table saw using the miter gauge. For the holes I used a drill press. The pieces were then finished with a palm sander using 3M wet/dry sandpaper, grits 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200. The photo shows the aluminum plate used to make the Pumpkin pre-amplifier case. For this project I used leftover material from other projects.

497415d1438890138-pumpkin-preamp-perfect-f4-al_plate-jpg

I used this project to exercise mirror finish polishing. The case is not anodized, which makes it impractical to have this kind of finish if the music streamer were to be frequently handled. That is not the case, as the only thing that will be often touched is the power button.
In about a year or so from now, when the surfaces develop a patina that will make them look a little dull, I should have acquired powder coating equipment to refinish the cases in satin black.

Thanks Grimberg for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it. I've made a few enclosures from recycled parts found at the local tip shop. Coat of paint and a new wooden face plate. The results have been average but very cheap, get the job done. Recently I've been looking around for local (Australian) ready made enclosure options, which are very few. Most of the more interesting designs are available internationally but with the added hefty shipping expense. So I think I will pursue a diy approach and make my own. Thanks very much for posting your pics and detailing your build, it has given me the push I needed. Keep up the good work, I'll keep an eye out for your next installent.

In case you guys are interested, a while back I posted pictures of other custom built enclosures. Follow the link below to see the case built to house the Pumpkin pre-amplifier along with the Shunty regulator.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/103130-pumpkin-preamp-perfect-f4-34.html#post4379549

The next link points to pictures of the M2 clone amplifier case built around Conrad Engineering's (Australia) heat sinks.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/281520-official-m2-schematic-72.html#post4975080

The SMPS used is capable of delivering 5A current, more than twice what the Raspberry Pi and SPDIF card require. Attaching one or more USB devices would not require an upgrade. If you build a similar case or customize a read-made one, you just need to cut the opening to expose the USB ports, which are already facing the back plate. In my case I only cut a small opening aligned with the Ethernet port, that is all the music streamer needs.
There are many USB portable HDDs available. I have a couple Western Digital similar to this.

WD 2TB My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 External WDBFKT0020BGY-WESN B&H

It is large enough to store thousands of lossless music files.

I purchased it from seller chenmiju2009 on Ebay and it is described as "AC 100V-240V DC 5V 5A Adjust Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply 25W".
If I post the link it will become stale in just a few days but, using the information above, I was able to find the item again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.