Marantz CD5001 OSE - I2S Possible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Marantz CD5001 (OSE Version)

This I use on my main system, from SPDIF to Chord DAC, it seems to work fine as a transport and has never given me any issues, the on board DAC/Analogue output is not the greatest but never use it.

I thought i'd modify it as I've had it 10 years and going to start messing around with some I2S DACS, probably the ES9028/ES9038 family.

So thought I'd have a look at the schematic before I open it up for surgery to add a I2S connection on the back.

Looking at the Schematic the CS4392 DAC chip has M0 Low (Pin 10) and M1 (Pin 9) High, which in this configuration indicates to me that the data stream to the DAC is Right Justified 16Bit.

Is this a compatible format for those ES90x8 series of chips?, I cannot see any reference to Left or Right justification, only I2S.

The data is sent to the CS4392 DAC chip from the micro HVITC94A14FA which I can find no information at all for, so possibly a Custom IC.

If I can't get I2S out of this I do have another CD Player here, a CD65MKII SE, which I can just pull the TDA1541A's and put a I2S output on it, but i'd rather do the CD5001 as that's a much newer deck and has had a lot less use. It also looks nicer :)

Hello

I have done the same project a few months ago on CD5004 .
I have added the Metronome board from Twisted audio (SRC4192) with the Opus Dac and THE IVY III BALANCED LINESTAGE :confused::rolleyes:
The results were not very good for me.

MARANTZ CD5004 as a CD player transport
Better results with these modifications :violin: ES9018

Serge

Sorry to hear it was not good for you :(

Thank you for the link, that is a nice modification you have done there, the CD5001 is totally different inside, the only similarity is it uses the same DAC chip.
I do not wish to mess around with Clocks etc, I just want a I2S output on a CD player, I will modify this CD65MKII SE and put the 2x TDA1541A in the bin where they belong:D:D

What is frustrating at one point of my life I used to be a Field Service Engineer and worked on NSM Jukeboxes, I could have had CD Pro, CDM1, CDM12 industrial etc :violin::violin: but was not interested in CD back then.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.