EAD CD-1000 no spin up or RF, is it worth the time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So this Enlightened Audio Design CD-1000 is yet another "BER" player saved from becoming scrap parts and have been tinkering around with it for a while now and am about to give up on it.

But before I give up on it just looking for some insight on what else I can try to narrow down what part is bad.

The player will not do anything, there is no spin up, and no RF, no attempt to do a read out of a disc. The only signs of life is sometimes the spindle motor will go into maximum overdrive but that is all.

*Things I have tried*
-- Replaced all electrolytic capacitors in the servo section.
-- Replaced IC202 LA6517 (which appears to drive the spindle motor)
-- IC151 CXA1372S processor I think has been replaced by another Tech.
-- Tested Q101 2SA854 (Laser CCS transistor which was actually bad in another player I fixed)
-- Continuity check on spindle motor.
-- Reflowed any suspicious bad solder joints.

This player uses a strange upside down Pioneer mechanism, looks like the PD-S502 uses the same one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. :happy1:

With all the wasted time spent replacing unnecessary parts you actually may have missed the obvious. The laser head. To check that you need the service manual from the Pioneer player you mentioned. Start with alignment procedure and if it won't align, then the player is probably scrap.
I repaired EAD players for years and only once had a read problem that wasn't laser related.

With all the wasted time spent replacing unnecessary parts you actually may have missed the obvious. The laser head. To check that you need the service manual from the Pioneer player you mentioned. Start with alignment procedure and if it won't align, then the player is probably scrap.
I repaired EAD players for years and only once had a read problem that wasn't laser related.

Thanks for this advice, this is good to know. And yes, I do feel like it was wasted time... thankfully most of the parts I had on hand such as capacitors are a quick and cheap to swap out.

As George mentioned what makes this player worth spending the kind of bucks people want for a new laser head is for the fact that this player has a very nice DAC with a built in clock and excellent opamps and all glory... then again just as well I could make a really nice DAC out of the player.

What can be expected in terms of reliability of a new laser assembly?

I got the player into "test mode"... absolutely nothing works except the display, no noise from the pickup or change in voltages from the test point connector when using the scope, in fact all I see is unchanged "noise". None of the test procedures in the service manual seem to do anything to allow me to find a starting point. The manual says I should be able to "move" the pickup back and fourth manually but that doesn't work either.

This player is more dead than a rock at a rock concert... sorry

I found the service manual for the Pioneer PD-S502 here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.