Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Mcintosh MCD7007 mute problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 04:16 AM   #1
gmonstah is offline gmonstah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mcintosh MCD7007 mute problem

Recently brought home a MCD 7007 CD player. Not much known about its history.

Worked fine for a short while then dd/mute light came on and no output.

Cleaned lens and it worked for a few days. Then back to dd/mute. I have a feeling that cleaning the lens didn't really solve anything.

Presently there is no output regardless of disc, but the lens is tracking the disc and front panel shows track and time info as the disc plays at normal speed to the end and stops It acts as though somebody simply hit the mute button.

Yeah, I know, there isn't a mute button.

Not sure if this is operator ignorance or a technical issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Mooly; 8th February 2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Deleted many duplicate paragraphs.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

This looks like an early Philips based player to me. The dd/mute is 'damaged disc' and could be triggered by poor RF quality from the laser pickup.

If so, have you replaced the 33uF caps on the servo board under the laser pickup ? These are a common issue.
Old 8th February 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
gmonstah is offline gmonstah  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly,

Seems like you a thinking that the lens could track properly but the audio could get misinterpreted. Makes sense.

The only 33uf cap I see in the schematics is number 2103.

I probably won't get around to it for a few days, but I hope you are right and thanks for the idea
Old 9th February 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

There are variations on the boards used. The sure fire way is to replace ALL electrolytics on that servo board. Always use like for like values. If that 33uF (2103) is around the laser drive transistor then it is a favourite.

Mcintosh MCD7007 mute problemHide this!Advertise here!