Mcintosh MCD7007 mute problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently brought home a MCD 7007 CD player. Not much known about its history.

Worked fine for a short while then dd/mute light came on and no output.

Cleaned lens and it worked for a few days. Then back to dd/mute. I have a feeling that cleaning the lens didn't really solve anything.

Presently there is no output regardless of disc, but the lens is tracking the disc and front panel shows track and time info as the disc plays at normal speed to the end and stops It acts as though somebody simply hit the mute button.

Yeah, I know, there isn't a mute button.

Not sure if this is operator ignorance or a technical issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This looks like an early Philips based player to me. The dd/mute is 'damaged disc' and could be triggered by poor RF quality from the laser pickup.

If so, have you replaced the 33uF caps on the servo board under the laser pickup ? These are a common issue.

Thanks Mooly,

Seems like you a thinking that the lens could track properly but the audio could get misinterpreted. Makes sense.

The only 33uf cap I see in the schematics is number 2103.

I probably won't get around to it for a few days, but I hope you are right and thanks for the idea

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There are variations on the boards used. The sure fire way is to replace ALL electrolytics on that servo board. Always use like for like values. If that 33uF (2103) is around the laser drive transistor then it is a favourite.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.