Micromega Stage mod or Rega Apollo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I’m new to this so please be patient with me.
I have a Micromega Stage 1.5 from new (due to repair and software update back in the late 1990’s). I’ve had the usual skipping issue, which I have again, so I’ll have to clean the transport and relube again.

I also own a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC. The player has had no mods yet, (caps changed, etc..) Is it worth doing?

I am willing to upgrade / mod it, but should I cut my losses and buy another more up-to-date (and probably better) CD player like the Rega Apollo?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I had never heard of a Stage 1.5 tbh.

If the MM is in good condition then it might be worth looking at modifying. My experience of the Stage 2 showed the greatest gains in switching the NE5534 opamps to alternatives but you need to be aware that the print on the MM doesn't lend itself to diy, at least not for the inexperienced. Its very fine and the plated vias make IC removal more difficult.

I've no idea what the Stage 1.5 ? uses, but if it does use the 5534 then it may also make use of the offset null terminals. That means any replacement also has to use either the same configuration, or you have to be prepared to alter to suit.

The 5534 is a terrific opamp but I suspect less well suited to applications where there is a lot of HF noise and hash, such as the output of the DAC. I found FET replacements such as the OPA604 offered a worthwhile improvement.

Thanks Mooly.
Just to clarify, it is a Stage 1, I bought it new from a dealer and had a problem 3 years afterwards. I had it repaired by sending it back to mm, not sure of the repair but part of it was a software update which the dealer said it was like being a Stage 1.5 (salesman talk). As far as I know there has never been any upgrade mod from mm on my player.

I do have electronics experience and will mod it, but, I was told by a dealer the Rega Apollo is the next level again, do you have any thoughts about this, have you heard the Rega?

Just in case something goes wrong.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've never heard the Rega in real life, but the one thing that puts me off is the cheap looking CD mechanism it uses. It reminds me of the type found in £10 Lidl portables.

If you do swap IC's on the MM then my advice would be to snip the old one out and then remove each leftover pin separately. Then heat the PCB via and run a piece of stainless wire through the hole to clear it. Finally fit some quality 8pin DIP sockets to allow you to easily make future changes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.