Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2018, 08:40 AM   #1
RobertS61 is offline RobertS61  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Wadia WT-2000 Transport

Hi,

Just acquired a Wadia WT-2000s transport that skips forth and back.
It reads okay lists the TOC and plays orderly when it's not skipping.
I think it's a lubrication problem but I'm not quite sure where to apply the lubrication apart from the shiny shaft at the left of the picture.
Any advice?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514882345
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laserunit and.jpg (153.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
You will have to look where the friction points are on the opposite side of the pickup to the rail. Use a suitable grease that is metal/plastics compatible.

Is there a screw missing (upper left) ?
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
You will have to look where the friction points are on the opposite side of the pickup to the rail. Use a suitable grease that is metal/plastics compatible.
I will try to find them.
So it's not on top of the sliders?

Is there a screw missing (upper left) ?[/QUOTE]
That was a internet picture from a Teac P2 Transport.
Mine looks like this and but has another clamp.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514919101
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wadia WT-2000s lasercompartment.jpg (780.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:58 PM   #4
LeoJar is offline LeoJar  Canada
diyAudio Member

it seems that the abnormality is caused by weak laser. I have several KSS151a machines and it is the symptom of weak laser.
Leo
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS61 View Post
I will try to find them.
So it's not on top of the sliders?
Perhaps under here. It should be fairly easy to see what the pickup runs on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoJar View Post
it seems that the abnormality is caused by weak laser. I have several KSS151a machines and it is the symptom of weak laser.
Leo
That is a distinct possibility, as is internal contamination and fogging of the optics.

The last digits of the pickup serial number give the factory set current for the laser diode which should be easy to check by calculation after measuring the volt drop across a resistor in the laser drive circuit. 484 is it on yours ? That would be 48.4 milliamps if so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (127.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:45 PM   #6
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoJar View Post
Leo
Hi,
Older VRDS machines have 2 weakness showing up before laser's death. I had several KSS151 VRDS, sold cheap as fried diodes, with manual adjustements servo PCBs, skipping. But re-adjusted with no repair and never skipped anymore. Show us the servo PCB, if many pots you should re-tune first, which includes the diode's health check as per Mooly's advice.
Also the spindle lift mechanism's belt get loose and it does not grip tight enough to rotate the disc without it slipping from times to times. Check the belt under the spindle.
Roberts, if both pictures are yours then you can both re-adjust and belt check. Looks like a modded Tascam CD-701.
AFAIR magnetic rails does not call for grease but a tiny wheel to be clean, under the lasser assy.
Come back with your findings, many went to trash still alive...

Last edited by Malefoda; 2nd January 2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Perhaps under here. It should be fairly easy to see what the pickup runs on.
It's the rod you see above in the last picture I send which is my machine with the 484 number on the KSS151a laserassembly.

Quote:
That is a distinct possibility, as is internal contamination and fogging of the optics.
From the old Lampizator website I know how to "deep clean" the laser optics.

Quote:
The last digits of the pickup serial number give the factory set current for the laser diode which should be easy to check by calculation after measuring the volt drop across a resistor in the laser drive circuit. 484 is it on yours ? That would be 48.4 milliamps if so.
Yes mine is 484 but I'm not a technician so I've no glue which resistor I should use to measure the voltage drop but a skilled one with not your knowledge about the meaning of those numbers could benefit from that information thanks!
I hope it's just a dry rod but after your and Malefoda's remarks it could be somewhat more complex (for me).
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:00 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
Hi,
Older VRDS machines have 2 weakness showing up before laser's death. I had several KSS151 VRDS, sold cheap as fried diodes, with manual adjustements servo PCBs, skipping. But re-adjusted with no repair and never skipped anymore. Show us the servo PCB, if many pots you should re-tune first, which includes the diode's health check as per Mooly's advice.
Also the spindle lift mechanism's belt get loose and it does not grip tight enough to rotate the disc without it slipping from times to times. Check the belt under the spindle.
Roberts, if both pictures are yours then you can both re-adjust and belt check. Looks like a modded Tascam CD-701.
AFAIR magnetic rails does not call for grease but a tiny wheel to be clean, under the lasser assy.
Come back with your findings, many went to trash still alive...
There lot's of Variable Resistors inside to govern the behavior of the transport.
It's indeed a modded Teac P2S or Tascam CD-701 for that matter.
I already ordered the belts for this unit and some lubrication as well.
There is indeed a tiny wheel also as you mentioned that I could clean but I thought the rod where the KSS151a Laserunit is gliding around needs to be cleaned and lubricated lightly also.
I can find the pots (V401 ~ V406), but I do not have the equipment nor the necessary skills to perform the adjustment.
I first try the mechanical stuff and if that fails I bring it to a workshop.
Thanks for your remarks!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514930330
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adjustmentpots Teac P2s.JPG (81.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Adjustments Teac P2s pic2.JPG (115.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Adjustments Teac P2s.JPG (129.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Adjustments Teac P2s pic3.JPG (56.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Made some detailed photo's with a SLR camera.
I presume this is the belt you were referring to.
It's rather loose when I pulled and pushed it.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514998100
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1514998100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wadia WT-2000s Laserpickup.jpg (316.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Wadia WT-2000s belt and motor for raising the turntable.jpg (968.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Wadia WT-2000 Transport
The original general recommendation (by Sony for their early players) for lubricating the polished rod was to use a hypoid oil, and just a couple of drops. I assume the rod runs through sintered phosphor bronze bearings in the pickup.

Wadia WT-2000 TransportHide this!Advertise here!