Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Meridian 602 Clock
Meridian 602 Clock
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Evilbat is offline Evilbat  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Meridian 602 Clock

Hive mind,

I'm currently auditioning an Audiolab M-DAC+ and as it displays the source clock frequency, my Meridian 602 is outputting between 44.086 and 44.120kHz. Not massively out from an ideal 44.1kz, and I'm sure the Audiolab can "cope" with this, but is it worth investing in a Trichord or Tentlabs clock conversion to improve the Meridian's output ?

Ian
Old 1st January 2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Meridian 602 Clock
Have you calculated the percentage error on those numbers ? I get -0.032% and 0.046%

What is the claimed accuracy of the external clock conversion ?
Old 1st January 2018, 03:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, and Happy New Year,

From Trichord Research's figures @ +/- 0.00049%
Old 1st January 2018, 03:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Meridian 602 Clock
Happy New Year

Only you can decide if the conversion is worthwhile but also, how do you know the DAC isn't implicated in the error ? There must be an onboard oscillator in the DAC to which it compares the incoming signal. If the incoming signal were perfect and the DAC in error then you would still see an incorrect value displayed.
Old 1st January 2018, 04:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

From the instruction manual:

"The M-DAC+ provides a true reading of the digital input frequency. For example when a stable 44.1kHz input is present you may see the display vary between 44.100k and 44.1001k. This indicates an error of 1Hz in 44.100kHz and is insignificant. A less stable source may vary more."
Old 1st January 2018, 06:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Meridian 602 Clock
You have your answer

If the DAC is guaranteed to display the incoming sampling rate to that level of accuracy then you now have to make decision as to whether you will gain any benefit from improving the transport.

I couldn't quickly find any reliable information on how tightly controlled the sampling frequency should be although I suspect your Meridian is well within spec in absolute terms.
Old 1st January 2018, 06:54 PM   #7
martin clark is offline martin clark  Europe
diyAudio Member

The only clock that matters is the one at the point of conversion.
OP's dac locks to source, and re-clocks the data: so no benefit in modding the source.

Meridian 602 ClockHide this!Advertise here!