Marantz CD32 DAC upgrade.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Att: All Tech Gurus! This Marantz CD32 sounds great as it is really but it was built in about the 1980s or thereabouts and I want to know if I can upgrade the chips in it seeing as how the technology has advanced so much since then, this Marantz already has a beautifully smooth transport and any upgrades that could be done would only do it justice.:D

Have you searched around for schematics and any information from others who have tinkered with the 32/52 models?
Marantz has offered "upgraded models" that have better parts swapped in, not sure if they did that with these models or not, but that may be a source of info also.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
This must be the info I was thinking about because I knew there was something out there that I had read a few years ago! Thanks for putting this up mate, a thousand thank yous, it's appreciated. It looks fairly straightforward to do and I'm eager to hear the results.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I found these, do I buy two and just plug them in?

Attachments

• OPA1602  op-amp.jpg
    OPA1602 op-amp.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 127
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The 8820 sounds (to me anyways) similar to the 5532, just a smoother more detailed mid/treble, thought it could be a nice upgrade without upsetting any of the marantz sound that people love.

I'll try them and see how they go, I'm not sure that I will be able to hear much of a difference though but if you could hear a difference, then maybe I can too? I'm 64y/o and I can hear up to 12,000htz. Anything that goes towards refining the final sound output is OK by me. I'm going to do the power supply if I can get the add-on for my Firefox browser to make Photobucket work? All the photos and diagrams are in there! I contacted Photobucket about this 3 days ago by email, still waiting for a reply!

CD52 Mk2 SE

You will find a manual at:

http://www.raylectronics.nl/manuals/CD32_42_52_doc.pdf

I have a query
I have replaced the tray opening gear wheel and belt on CD52 Mk2 SE.
My tray attempts to open but falters.

I have checked the action. As part of the opening action, there is a ramp on the CD tray which lifts the 'Disc hold down' mechanism which is spring loaded down on the tray, A pair of rollers run on the disc hold down unit run on this ramp. My tray almost gets to the top of the ramp and then stops. The motor and belt stop, and do not appear to slip.
If I give the operation a slight assist by reducing the weight of the spring loaded hold down mechanism, it functions perfectly.

My query: Is there a way to reduce the load on the tray motor, or beef up the motor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.