Little Server

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen it for only 31,-$ but that is not the point. The server i use in my workshop usually is an Auralic Mini with an external DAC. The DAC is a heavy modified Musical Fidelity V90. That DAC was modified by friends from the Frickelfest and satisfies most of my needs.
It is an evolutionary process and i heard that the fricklers improved it again in the meantime. My version is from the last Frickelfest and does not have all the goodies so i can not say how better it COULD be.
I have better DAcs too but this combination is good enough for dayly work.

I did not know that this is a message. What i will show is a digital source that costs virtually nothing and sounds very good. So good that i use it at home for my privat listening. A lot of it is DIY so i thought it fits here. You will learn to make a cable that outperforms offerings costing a lot more and a buffer will be shown that has very little distortion and can be used for other projects too like preamps that does not need voltage gain and active filters.

As far it gives a sound to die for....(for... low money I meant ;) ), it will kill the other in the Top Chart (you know all these hats and overstacked things...) ! Me just trust my ears now ! Why not this one if the OP has no interrest in this factory producing this little circular client/server/dac !

I'm curious about the cable !

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the whole schebang. Actually there is a 10kOhm potmeter before my poweramp ( not shown ) that sets the volume. That Potmeter could also be used BEFORE the buffer.

Attachments

• Little Server.PNG
    Little Server.PNG
    855.1 KB · Views: 173
One trick to make a good sounding cable is to make it short. My cable is a good quality, gold plated 3.5mm jack and an only 5cm long twisted pair of thin, teflon coated Mundorf silver-gold solid core cable. The RCAs are origibal Eichmanns with metal sleeves because i had them and beleave in the low mass theorem. There are new one from Eichmann the company and Eichmann the man. Maybe they are even better. WBT Next Gen will do too.
There are versions in copper, silver and NANO bla. They all may sound supltly difference but the old Eichamnn do, big time.

It seems to be a convergence going on where ever cheaper DA converters get better and better. I think for CD quality it has already happened. The weakness is then mostly in the PSU and the analog output stage. A good cable belongs there too. I have no idea why cables sound so different but they do in my experience.

Sure & dielectric of the cable too, the shortest length I use now the happier I am to avoid the mess with that ! And oh : solder : I had to remove some 4% silver Mundorf in a high tweaked dac ! I can not believe it, but when removed it sounded good again as initially tweaked !

Well, cool thread; remind me the tweaking of the old Philips CD player when they cost 10 to 20 euros in second hand shops : did that more than one decade.... :)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Under the thingy is a round bamboo plate and then a record weight and the " lid ".
Colour my crazy but i can centainly hear when i put weight on the thingy. The combination of materials makes a difference too. I am mad but that is the fun. Comes for more or less free when you accept your own creativity.

You hear acoustic feedback picked up be the oscillator in the DAC. That feedback creates jitter.

//

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.