Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Philips CD-104 Improving Reading of CDRs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2017, 07:27 AM   #11
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I'm pleased something was a solution for you.

It is very much a case of experimenting with different media and burn speeds and observing to see which gives the best RF as viewed on the scope.
Old 11th December 2017, 07:18 PM   #12
phildela is offline phildela  England
diyAudio Member

I have recently found that something other than the CDM1 setup is contributing to the poorer reading of CDRs. Out of three CDR-104s I have only one of them could read the CDR burnt at 4x without artifacts in the sound and interuptions (all three read the CDR burnt at 16x without issue). I got my scope out and perfectly adjusted the CDM1s on all three units but it made no difference to the two that had reading problems. I swapped the Servo board of the better 104 with the poorer one and the fault didn't move, nor did it with the power supply. The last board I swapped was the Decoder board and this surprisingly made the difference. I am not sure which component is causing CDRs to not read well but I'm going to try renewing the electrolytics and I'll post the results once that's done. If anyone knows what could be the culprit for these read errors please let me know.
Old 12th December 2017, 07:24 AM   #13
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I wonder if the error correction could be different... hard to say without doing an in depth investigation. Or servo time constants maybe.

As we keep saying though, these players are not designed for CDR from the outset and so anything is a bonus. I'm not sure setting up using a CDR is a good idea in the long run because you are optimising the player for an imperfect medium, possibly at the expense of playing Red Book standard discs.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:08 AM   #14
PAM is offline PAM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The focus of the laser can be adjusted by the trox under de CD-drive motor. See service manual. Normal and CDR do have a different behavior / reflection for the focus. The bearing is wearing and sometimes you must set the table a little bit higher to a ready on your multimeter of 0 mV.
Old 13th January 2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Jonssen is offline Jonssen  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've plenty of players with CDM1 that have had no 'tuning' and they will all read CD-Rs, even poor ones. Most read errors come from poor media and poor recording. Choosing decent quality (e.g. Taiyo Yuden) discs and recording on a decent drive (even at high speed) will produce a disc that reads without CU (uncorrectable) errors and negligable C2 (correctable) errors. Try a CD-R/CD-RW drive rather than a combo and use decent recording software. (There's a complete art to this if you can be bothered!) There's a list of the better audio recording drives on the web somewhere - Plextors generally work well. Certain drives will allow access to low level error data so you can use Plextools or similar to scan CDs and CD-Rs and see exactly what's going on.
Old 13th January 2018, 06:57 AM   #16
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

The reflexions of an CD-R is much lower compared to a commerical CD.
This is the main reason why CD-R donīt work on old CD drives.
Old 14th January 2018, 02:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
The reflexions of an CD-R is much lower compared to a commerical CD.
This is the main reason why CD-R donīt work on old CD drives.
Sorry, you are mis-informed
Old 14th January 2018, 02:54 AM   #18
Hearinspace is offline Hearinspace  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is there any chance that using different writer hardware or software would help a little?
Old 14th January 2018, 06:29 AM   #19
Keruskerfuerst is offline Keruskerfuerst  Germany
diyAudio Member

The laser unit could be replaced.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:52 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keruskerfuerst View Post
The laser unit could be replaced.
Whatever for? The o/p didn't say it was faulty.

Philips CD-104 Improving Reading of CDRsHide this!Advertise here!