Sony CDP 591 recognizes disc but doesn't play

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Could there be more solder blobs ?

You have to be realistic... all the processing is done within the IC's with very little discrete circuitry, and we know the original man made fault must have been fairly catastrophic to pop the two supply fuses. Now you have found a blob of solder that was causing an issue :)

The excess current to pop those fuses must have gone somewhere, and if it was into any of the LSI chips then its not looking hopeful I'm afraid. I think you are down to this either being caused by more inadvertent shorts (blobs) or some of the silicon is zapped.

Unfortunately I checked really well and didn't see anything else. But could this little short between mute and reset have done all that damage ? This seems to be the only thing that I can see that I did wrong to begin with.

Would it be doable to try and replace these 2 IC's 301 and 302 ans see what happens or is the risk of getting fake replacements too high ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I wouldn't have thought a short on any data lines would do that damage, its more what caused the fuses to pop and where all that current went.

Faults like this become a little non logical as it is all uncharted territory I'm afraid, a little like repairing lightning damaged equipment.

Not much of fakes for parts like this but is it worth it ?

Then it's probably something in the power supply that was about to pop anyway and just did it at that particular moment. I discharged the caps before touching anything, and there were no shorts anywhere else than the one I found today.

I'm finding that out the hard way. I don't know if the player itself is worth it but I don't really like to throw things away :eek:.

Well I got lucky and found a player that was ready to be scrapped (the laser was missing, tray mechanism was completely shot and front was bashed in). I started by swapping just the main board, and that took care of the "no sound problem" but the damn thing still didn't want to come out of mute so went ahead and swapped the front board as well and now it works perfectly. I think I will put those other boards aside and get back to them later.

Anyway, thank you Mooly for the help (again :))

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.